Monty

Financial Problems Giving Dogs Away Only Option

So my sister recently got a divorce from her husband and she is stuck with their 4 dogs.. Shes been trying to maintain them as much as she could but she doesn't have enough money to give them the basic things they need. She feels that giving them to the SPCA is her only option.. Personally I don't want her to do it but seeing how shes going through her problems I think its really the best and only option she has.. What do you guys think?

Asked by Monty on Aug 24th 2011 Tagged dogs, divorce, promblems, financial in Local Spots & Services

Answers

Misty

I'm sorry about your sister, I never like to believe that giving them to the SPCA is the only option (and those hypocritical murderers probably would kill them their first day there) maybe see if some of her and your friends can take one or two of the dogs each until she's able to care for them, or try to permentantly rehome them with trusted people you know. Although she may not like the following for her pride, but you could probably ask a humane society or charity group to run some donation fundraiser, they do this at my church every week with people who are low in money and it gets pretty good results. As far as vet care most vets will offer payment plans and there are many discount vaccination clinic, good luck to you and your sister and I hope things work out

Misty answered on 8/24/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sometimes it's necessary. When my mother got divorced we had to move to an apartment, for financial reasons, that didn't allow dogs or cats. I missed my pets, we had to put them in the animal shelter. We called in to check up on them later on and one of them, my dog, got adopted. I don't know what happened to the cats, though.
Hope all goes well. Never a fun decision to make.

Um, the SPCA are not "hypocritical murderers" Misty...maybe you are thinking of PeTA or ASPCA or something. SPCAs around the country are all *independent organizations* and are not run by the ASPCA or anything national. False information is only going to scare people away from their local SPCA and shelters. Each SPCA has their own staff, and its own rules. Generalizing is not a good idea.

To Monty, if the most basic of needs are not being met, she has some things to contemplate before surrendering them. First is the adoptability of her dogs, based on their temperaments, ages, and breeds. Second is if she wants to try to contact private rescues first, although finding placement in rescue for 4 dogs at one time is a pretty slim chance, worth a try. She may also contemplate trying to keep what she feels is the least adoptable dog and re-homing the rest, either by herself personally or through the shelter. I wish her luck and hope things pick up soon for her.

I would suggest a couple of things. The first is to solicit assistance from her ex-husband, if that's reasonable at all. Barring that, she might try getting in touch with the Humane Society, SPCA, or her vet. There may be organizations in her area that can help with pet care assistance (dog food, etc). If those things don't pan out, I'd look for a no-kill shelter with a fostering program, and I'd tour the facilities beforehand. If she can afford to keep A dog, I'd probably keep whichever will be less adoptable or more likely to struggle with transition.

So sad. Best of luck!