Leo

femoral head ostectomy and demodectic mange?

Poor Leo has a birth defect in her hips where the socket on her pelvis for her hip joint never formed, its just smooth bone grinding against the femur. My vet's recommending femoral head ostectomy, a treatment she said usually treats hip dysplasia. Leo's a petite little 3/4 german shepherd cross (about 47 pounds with a little more filling out to do) and still under a year old and also suffers from demodectic mange. Does anyone know what to expect in the recovery process from the surgery? Or how it'll effect her long term? The vet said she'll likely have another flare up of mange after the surgery and we're having trouble controlling her mange as it is, anyone know a good treatment for mange that will keep my poor girl from being even more uncomfortable after her surgery?

Asked by Leo on Nov 29th 2013 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Harvey

First I am going to suggest you repost this over in the regular Forums, health section, as you can ask questions of us AND we can also ask them of you. Answers only lets us post ONE TIME and you cannot engage in any dialogue with us at all.
My Chinese Crested, Harvey, was born with a genetic malformation of the femur head, Legges Calve Perthe Disease, which resulted in a FHO when he was 7 months old. The first week was awful...he was in pain in spite of pain meds, and he didn't want to even try to walk.
But, the second week was much better and he was bearing weight when he returned for suture removal.
My vet did not recommend PT as I have multiple dogs and he felt Harvey would get good exercise just keeping up with them. By one month post surgery he had barely a limp and except for being able to jump straight up onto something, he is now perfectly normal.
As for the demodex, it is possible that with the FHO and the removal of constant pain that will also be helped.
Out of space!

Harvey answered on 11/29/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Demodectic mange is usually passed on at birth, and is normally controlled by a healthy immune system. Pups and older dogs often display symptoms of this type because their immune strength is lower. In a full grown healthy dog, indications that they are infected can be difficult to notice.

Treatment for demodectic mange varies between dogs, but a healthy immune system will normally fight off and eliminate the problem on its own within eight weeks. If a pup is already ill, or later in years, treatment can be more difficult. There are special shampoos and dips for treatment, and most are quite poisonous as they are insecticides designed to eliminate the parasite. Be careful with your own skin, and keep your pup from consuming them.