Female Labrador Retriever 3 years old has trouble getting up, sitting down, occasionally slips.

I have a 3 year old female labrador retriever who is having trouble getting up from sitting or laying, and occasionally loses her footing in her hindquarters and has difficulty getting back up.

Does anyone have any idea of what this could be?

Her parents were both AKC registered, and she was AKC registerable but we didn't bother. I really hope this isn't hip dysplasia, but I'm not holding my breath...

Asked by Member 1155790 on Feb 18th 2013 Tagged difficultygettingup, labradorretriever, hipdysplasia in Arthritis

Answers

You really need to get her checked by a vet. Only they can determine what the issue is. Good Luck!

Sadly, registered only means her parents were registered as well. It is absolutely NOT a measure of quality! It's like a car, a car without an engine can be registered, doesn't mean it will run!!!
Did her parents have their hips and elbows xrayed and OFA certified before they were bred??? I would certainly contact her breeder and find out, not that it doesn't mean she can't have hip dysplasia, but it certainly lessens the odds.
First, you do need to get her to your vet and get her examined... other things can cause the same symptoms... Lyme disease for one, and cruciate issues is another problem.
Keep her weight down, limit her exercise and start her on a glucosomine supplement until you can get her examined.

It does sound like a joint or hip problem, but only the vet can tell. If genetic problems are a recessive trait in both parents they will come out in the offspring, and this happens with large dogs and their hindquarters regularly. One thing that can help is a glucosamine and chondroitin supplement. Greenies makes joint care supplement chews for dogs in hickory smoke flavor. Since you probably treat your dog anyway, give them a try because they certainly won't hurt. Woof to the world and good luck at the vet! ^_^