Shadow

Feeding raw eggs?!

Hey I am really curious if i can feed raw eggs to my lab? I have heard very mixed opinions and getting a little a little frustrated as to what is true?! I feed him Evo already but just want to add a little extra. Thank you for any answers!

Asked by Shadow on Jan 12th 2009 in Food & Nutrition

Answers

Raw eggs are great for dogs. We eat a completely raw diet and love it. We eat about 2-3 eggs a week. I must say one of our back ends can get a little stinky from eggs. If you have any question about raw foods please stop by the Raw Food Forum. This is a great place to learn as much as you want about raw.

Raw eggs for dogs carry the same risk of foodborne pathogens as they do for humans.

By feeding raw eggs, you are exposing the dog to potential gastrointestinal bacteria which could make him sick. Salmonella and lysteria as well as other contaminants can cause anything from an upset tummy and diarrhea to severe, life threatening illness, as it can in humans.

It's fairly common for eggs to be infected with the types of bacteria that can safely be cooked out at high temperature.

Dogs have more bacteria and acid in their stomachs than humans, but thousands of years of domestication has made them less like wolves and almost just as suscpetible for foodborne illness as we are.

Cooked eggs, or cooked egg whites are a great occassional treat for dogs. I would give my dogs that, but not raw.

Kaia

i have never had a problem giving any of my dogs raw egg, but make certain the eggs are fresh so as to minimize any risk of food-borne illness. also, i would look online for raw diet recipes so you can ensure your dog's diet is balanced (too much fat can make them sick).

canned pumpkin (sans spices) is also a great addition to regular dog food. my dogs absolutely love it, and it helps keep their digestive system running smoothly. and no worries about bacteria with that.

Kaia answered on 1/12/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Lillith

There is a very small risk of Salmonella. Dogs are less likely to get sick from it than humans because their digestive tract is shorter. However, the risk is still there. Some people feed completely raw diets and never have a problem, so use your own discretion. If you are mixing human food with packaged dog food, make sure the human food is no more than 20% of your dogs calories. Otherwise it can throw off the balance of minerals. To determine this, check the label of the food you feed and compare it with the nutritional value of the human food. You can find nutritional values of human food at www.nutritiondata.com.

Lillith answered on 1/13/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

It is fine. We feed a raw diet that includes raw eggs in it about 2x a week. They are in great health and always get an "A" at the vet's. :)

Maybe you heard about the Biotin deficiency thing, but that's if you were feeding raw egg whites only, and you'd really have to be feeding a LOT of raw egg whites for that to occur. As long as you are feeding the white and yolk together it is fine. If you need specifics about this issue, ask in the Raw Forum.

There is still a lot of scare tactics going on about raw, especially in the US where we are taught to be major germ freaks. Dog digestive systems were meant to handle salmonella and utilize the nutrients in raw meat. Also not every single piece of meat at the store is full of salmonella as most people seem to believe. I would be more cautious if the dog has an ongoing digestive problem like IBS, or has an autoimmune deficiency, but otherwise I think the benefits are outstanding, as long as the research was done and it's being done right.

Zackintosh CJ

Jack, raw eggs are not harmful to dogs as long as the dog isn't immune compromised.
Dogs have much shorter digestive systems than people, making them FAR less likely to get sick from raw food!
For a Lab, a whole raw egg, yolk and all, once a day is fine.
If you had a toy dog it may only be able to eat half an egg 2-3 times a week so it wouldn't get too much egg and not enough other stuff.
If you're feeding a commercial food and adding egg, that doesn't really apply, only to people that feed a raw diet.
Just give him one once a day, and if he's not getting overweight from it its fine. If he does, give him less, or every other day.
I give my dog raw eggs a lot, he loves it!
Sometimes I hide it under his dry food to make him eat it! LOL!

Zackintosh CJ answered on 1/13/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Bandit

I think raw eggs are fine for your dog. My husband has always giving our old wiemaranar/dalmation mix eggs ever since he got her 13 yrs ago. She has the most beautiful coat and is still doing good for her age.

Bandit answered on 1/14/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer