Loki (Taz)

Favorite home made long- lasting fillings?

It's been hard to find long-lasting chews that are edible and don't get mess all over the house. Rawhide gets eaten too fast, edible chews (like greenies and Nylabone edibles) are eaten within 5 min and leave crumbs on the carpet, rubber/plastic chews are either ignored or eaten (bad news...), so we have decided hooves work the best and are the cheapest, since they don't tend to break easily - but they keep the dogs entertained.

I was wondering what kind of fillings you guys make for hooves (and other fillable treats)? I don't want to waste money buying pre-filled treats, or the store bought stuffings. I tried peanut butter (I even froze it and added a tiny bit of starch in hopes of making it thicker), but it never got hard like I wanted.

Do you guys know of any good recipes for treat-fillings that will get super hard when dried/frozen, but not crumble? (like I used to stuff dogged biscuits in there, but they made such a mess when the dogs started chewing on the dried product)

Asked by Loki (Taz) on Jan 11th 2014 in Dogs and a Clean Home

Answers

Pineapple Smushface

Jif makes this new whipped peanut butter in tubs that might work better than regular peanut butter. I mix in Nutro fruit crunchy treats in different fruit flavors, mostly broken in little pieces, and I think it works pretty well. Give it a try and let me know what you think! The whipped PB is a new jif product so it will eventually make its way to your grocery store. ^_^ from your friend Pineapple

Pineapple Smushface answered on 1/14/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Ember FDX

I've never had a problem freezing peanut butter... I'd check your freezer setting. It may not be cold enough. It doesn't freeze at 32F like water, but it does freeze.

Also, look into treat-dispensing toys. I'm not a huge of hooves, between the smell, splintering, and how hard they are. Premier makes most of the treat toys in our regular rotation.

Ember FDX answered on 1/15/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Toto, CD, RN, CGC

My vet has signs all over his office warning against these hooves because of the number of emergency surgeries they have had to remove pieces of hoof from dogs intestines! They even have some photos of pieces of the hoof stuck in different dogs stomach/intestines. They DO break into pieces, especially those brands that are heat processed, (most of them since this is how they sterilize them!), and these pieces do not break down in the stomach acids, they just end up absorbing fluid from the intestines and sticking tight where only surgery can remove them.
We do not allow any boarding dogs in our kennel to have them while they are here, and we think there are much safer chews out there for your pets.

Toto, CD, RN, CGC answered on 1/15/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer