Griffin

Extraction of puppy canine tooth?

My 8 month old puppy and I just went to the vet and she recommended that I pay $150 to get his puppy canine tooth extracted because it hasn't fallen out and the permanent tooth has already come in. Is this really necessary? It won't ever fall out on its own? It isn't loose and he plays tug all the time...

Asked by Griffin on May 18th 2008 in Dental Care

Best Answer

At 8 months, all of the deciduous (puppy) teeth should be gone. You can try to get the tooth to come out on its own by giving your dog chewies that are really tough, that will really work your dog's teeth and gums (raw meaty bones are my personal preference, but you can also go with nylabones or other dental chews).

I'm willing to bet that the majority of the cost of simply removing a deciduous tooth is pent up in anesthesia. If your dog is not already neutered and you plan on having him neutered, you may want to hold out til that time to have the tooth extracted. Otherwise, if the chews don't help, it is best to have the tooth removed as it may cause premature periodontal disease and/or tooth crowding.

Good luck to you,

answered on May 18th.

Answers

Zoey

If I could go back in time and done that I would have. Zoey had one of her puppy canine teeth that just wouldnt fall out and I didnt realize the issue til it was too late and it was between any major vet visits. Because the puppy canine tooth didnt fall out until after the adult one grew in she now has crowding on the one side of her mouth. Now I have to be extra cautious with brushing and making sure she doesnt get build up between those teeth- which happens quite frequently... Basically determine how much it might affect your pups dental health- if it looks like it will cause significant crowding than either give some hard core chews to see if they help work out the tooth, if not I'd suggest going for the tooth extraction. Good luck!

Zoey answered on 5/18/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

If you are unsure about whether or not to get the tooth removed, might I suggest a second opinion?

Any time surgery is suggested, it is always good to have a second opinion. In some cases, you can simply inquire at another vet's office without an appointment. Just asking what their recommended procedure for a still impacted puppy tooth is might give you the reassurance you need to procced with the extraction or more information that maybe makes a different scenario plausible to you.

Even if you trust your vet, it is always nice to have that piece of mind.

When teeth don't descend in dogs, all sorts of problems can occur, as one of the answers here explains with personal experience. Pain is common and so are problems with other teeth due to crowding.

Personally, I would probably have this done. But, I'd get a second opinion, first. :-)

Jumpin' Jack Flash Red

Jacks baby canines did not come out. He had 2 sets of canines! While he was being "fixed" at 1 year we had them extracted. But $150 sounds way too expencive!

Jumpin' Jack Flash Red answered on 5/19/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer