Brandy

Excessive play biting with other dogs, can this be a sign of dominance or trouble to come?

Our young pit bull has recently become very mouthy with other dogs. I am aware that dogs do nip and bite while playing and as long as a dog is not squealing in pain it is usually fine. However, Brandy has now begun holding on to the neck area, usually under the neck, and does not let go. She will stay attached until I drag her off the other dog. So far no dogs have responded vocally but they can not get her to loosen her grip no matter how much they try and wrestle or run way. This of course freaks most owners out to see a pit bull hanging from their dogs neck and not letting go. Usually obedient, she will not respond to my calls to "leave it." Is this a "pit bull thing" ? Can I hope for her to out grow this stage? She has also begun humping too and I am worried these are all signs of dominance that were not an issue before she hit 1 year.

Asked by Brandy on Jan 31st 2008 in Behavior & Training

Best Answer

Haus R.I.P. my boy I miss you

If this is something new then it will be easy to stop.It is not a Pitbull thing to go for the neck all dogs do this not just our killer breedLOL You should not be letting her get to this stage in the play.If the other dogs don't correct her then it's up to u to jump in.I normally say this should be something that the other dogs correct but it sounds like they are not so it is left up to you.I'm also assuming that its happening at a dog park or somewhere with other dogs?you didn't mention this.Your dog should have some kind of manners before going to socialize with someone elses dogs.Keep in mind our breed already has a bad rep.so if you don't stop this you are going to be looked at as one of those people.Do your dog (and yourself)a favor and take her to obedience class for some lessions on behavior.You are setting yourself up for a very bad situation. You should not be taking her to these places unless you have control of her.

Haus R.I.P. my boy I miss you answered on Jan 31st.

Answers

♥Tiffy♥

She will not "grow" out of it. You have to stop this now before it escalates into aggressiveness. SHe is showing signs of dominance, whih is in a pits nature. Make sure she knows that you are the boss. When she does start the barking, you have to give her a very firm touch that means no. Dogs repond to touch, smell, then noise in that order. So you just telling her no is not enough for her to fully get it. Even before she goes at another dog, make her sit and firmly tell her no by touching her. This will prevent her mind from escalating to the next level.

♥Tiffy♥ answered on 1/31/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer