Ear scratching and whining

Again, my 5-month-old male Schnauzer. Almost from the day we brought him home, he has scratched at his ears and shook his head. He doesn't do this constantly, but enough that I know it much really bother him. I learned that you had to pull the hair out of his ears when he is groomed (which I do), but this did not help. He continued with the scratching and shaking of his head. I took him to the vet and he pulled yet a lot more hair from his ears and went deep pulling the hair out (which he told me not to do that deeply). This seemed to help for a couple of weeks and now he is starting again to shake his head and scratch his ears. He is an inside dog and the only time he is outside is when I am with him. What would be suggestions on something I can buy to help his ears?

Asked by Member 861726 on Jul 30th 2009 Tagged ears, scratching, whinning in Health & Wellness

Best Answer

Boocifer

It also could be yeast if there is an odor... Boo had yeast in her ears when she came home and I had to use some solution in them which she wasn't particularly fond of.

Also, I have to clean Xander's ears pretty regularly. For some reason they just get filthy and start to annoy him.

Boocifer answered on Jul 30th.

Answers

Maverick

Did the vet check to see if it was an ear infection? It sounds like an ear infection since he is shaking his head. Is there an odor?

Maverick answered on 7/30/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Bandit

I have this same problem, and my master used some stuff from the pet store to clean my ears. They took me and had my hair cut, and all my hair removed from my ears, and nothing was wrong with them, as th vet said. But, once cleaned mine dont bother me any more.

Bandit answered on 7/30/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer