Henry

Drooling when meeting other dogs.

Henry has a problem with drooling. Whenever he is with other dogs or just smelling where one may have been he drools, he even does it when he is around our other dog who lives outside. He doesnt seem to be under any kind of stress and LOVES other dogs and puppies. The only animal he spends time with and doesnt drool around is our cat. I was told it was normal but I cant remember ever seeing another dog do it.

Asked by Henry on Sep 29th 2010 in Behavior & Training

Answers

that is stress. My Boston does it when he is scared of a strange dog and they get face to face. He is a very submissive loving dog who stresses easily. He does drool excessively when doggies face him off.
It is a response to fear or being over stimulated. :)

It is also a typical sign of excitement.

There is a Golden that loves to come to the dog park. His owner carries a towel to wipe his dogs face as he drools like a fountain. It's pretty gross and could put a Newfoundland to shame.

Not all dogs do this, Henry just has more active salivary glands.

Could be worse. Pepper pees. Even standing up sometimes - "squirt"......ewwwwww!

Nico

Nico does this too when she scents something that causes her anxiety. I noticed it while she was smelling around a wooded spot and later was told a fox hung out there.

Nico answered on 10/1/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

it is not anything to be concerned about. Many dogs are called wet mouths and they do not hurt anyone except the person that has to clean up the drool they leave behind