Doxies in agility

I have a very active doxie that thinks he's a Jack Russell and loves to run around and jump, and one buddy of mine brought a couple of jumps over that his collie uses. And the little kept on wanting to jump over them as well.

So I was wondering if doxies are any good at agility or if they can even do it?

Asked by Member 609358 on Mar 18th 2008 Tagged doxieagility in Agility & Sports

Answers

There is a category in Agility with low jumps, so yes I think they can.

I don't see any reason why not!!
That would be cool!

Absolutely! Dachshunds can compete in agility and excel at it.

Agility has different jump height classes. The smallest is the 8 inch class which is for dogs that are 10 inches or smaller at the shoulder, and the next one up is the 12 inch class, for dogs up to 14 inches at the shoulder. Depending on how tall your Doxie is, you would compete in the 8" or 12" class.

The Dachshund Club of America website has an article about Doxies in agility here - www.dachshund that gives you more info about getting started in agility with your Doxie.

You definitely need to have basic obedience down pat and then get yourself into an agility class. Some schools offer "obedience for agility" courses where the focus is more on off-leash obedience and hand signals, so if you find a course like that near you, it's worth taking before you get into agility.

I had a doxie growing up. GREAT little doggies.

I think that the owner needs to be aware of the potential back problems doxies can have as a result of jumping.

Having said that, most doxie back injuries occur from jumping off beds and sofas at home, and also from being overweight. So, any exercise which strengthens the muscles and keeps the dog trim is good!