Checkers

Dog's nails are too sharp??

They're not exactly long, just really really sharp. I've heard that walking a dog on cement helps, and I'm starting to walk him now that it's not so cold. But I need a faster way? I tried filing them with an emery board and no luck. He's been making our arms and legs bleed for quite a while now. Any suggestions on what could help? Thank you.

Asked by Checkers on Apr 5th 2008 Tagged sharp, file, nails, scratch in Grooming

Best Answer

Stella

If it isn't length, and they are just sharp, you can try filing them. I had a pup that was terrified of nail clippers so I used a dremel tool... she would sit nice and calmly for that like she was getting a pedicure. I would just file the tips off...

Stella "Blue" answered on Apr 6th.

Answers

Fun On The Run Kennel Racing

You can buy a pair of doggy nail clippers and clip just the very ends of his nails so that it isn't shrp any more! Good luck!

Fun On The Run Kennel Racing answered on 4/5/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Loomis

Having too long of nails can be harmful to a dog, they can't walk properly. It's probably a good idea to have a groomer or vet trim them at first so the quick doesn't get cut, that can be painful and bleed a lot. If they have grown too long, sometimes its hard to tell exactly where they should be trimmed. .Just walking him on pavement won't do the trick.
Good Luck.

Loomis answered on 4/6/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Juno

Dremel tools are a good option. You can file his nails down in a rounded shape much faster than you can with a regular file. Plus, you're still taking off thin layers, so you can get much more off than you can with clippers without worrying so much about catching the quick. I saw a good pet-specific dremel in an infomercial yesterday but I can't remember the name of it...

Juno answered on 4/6/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Stretch

As a dog groomer for twenty years, the best advice i can give you is to go to the vet- they can cut the nails. It`s called a show cut. I trim nails then after i file them. Some dogs can be a bit squirmy for this- so if the owner still feels that the nails are still sharp the vet is the best to do it. I find the best nail files to use are the ones salons use for women. Good luck!

Stretch answered on 4/8/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer