Jasper

Dog's ears bleed from tips after head shaking.

We have a very energetic mutt with oversized ears. Often, when he shakes himself (like after a bath) one or both of his ears will start bleeding from the tips. This usually results in him being confined until they stop, which has taken from a couple days to several weeks, as we have had no success with any sort of bandage or powder. There is no infection. Our vet suggested both bandaging and powder to stop the bleeding, but didn't seem to have any suggestions on how to prevent it in the first place. Does anyone else have this issue? How did you resolve it?

Asked by Jasper on Mar 26th 2010 Tagged ears, bleeding in Emergencies & First Aid

Best Answer

I agree with Jack on this one.... it is very difficult to get these cleared up, but once you do, try to remember to keep some vaseline on them, as often as you can. If the ear tips are not allowed to dry out, they are less likely to bleed. Try using an ointment vs the powder... something such as neosporin should work well. Apply it as often as you can until they are healed, then switch to the vaseline. Sometimes the powders you get from the vet contain a steroid... in my experience the steroid makes the skin too dry! While they definitely have a positive effect in helping the injury heal faster, the drying in this case actually prolongs the ear tips healing, IMO. While it seems that keeping them moist via vaseline and/or ointments is not the right way to go, in the case of ear tips it definitely helps to heal them up AND prevent them from future splitting. Good luck!!!

answered on Mar 27th.

Answers

The dog we had when I was growing up had this issue. I remember the vet telling us that dogs with more pendulous or larger ears can sometimes have this issue. It looks like Jasper has some big ears on him, so maybe this is indeed the case.

The vet did the same as yours has done; prescribing some ointments or powders and some bandages, but nothing really worked. Eventually, it did clear up but we had to continually treat the ends of the ears with an antibacterial ointment, probably either Neosporin or it's predecessor.

Are the ears cracked and dry along the very edge? Our dogs' ears were very cracked and would scab over.

I would get a second opinion if your vet hasn't been able to help much up to this point.

Good luck, he seems like a great doggie!

It doesn't take several days or weeks to stop bleeding your vet should test your dog and treat the dog for a bleeding disorder. It is not that rare in humans or dogs. The dog lacks platelets in his blood which is a clotting agent.
This is the main cause of his bleeding that will not stop and the home remedies will not work as his body has a disorder.
I would find another vet who knows how to treat this after a dignosis.
And alot of State Universities do studies on rare disorders such as this and will know what to do. good luck. I hope you find the answer. www.petplace.com

☕ Finley ☕

I disagree that dogs with pendulous ears have this problem. I have had many basset hounds and never run into this problem. Does he have scabs on the tips of his ears that are being abraded off during the bath? In any case, I would look for a vet who is more experienced with unusual cases such as this. Is there a vet school close to where you live? They are often the best places to get this kind of problem addressed.

☕ Finley ☕ answered on 3/28/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I saw your question through pure chance as my dog has just had surgery and i was checking up on stuff - never been on dogster before - anyway our dog Archie is very similar in build and appearance to your dog probably a bit of whippet or greyhound in them. The first winter after we rescued him his ears would do the same thing and yes we took him to the useless vet who didnt know what it was. I kept searching the internet and decided to see if it was linked to him having some sighthound/whippet in him. I found a site that told me that these dogs suffer from the ends of their ears becoming easily frostbitten in the winter and essentially the tip of the ear dies off.
It suggested that these sorts of dogs should always wear a coat in winter to keep their body temp up and i think this is the reason that you can buy hoods for greyhounds on the internet. Next winter Archie wore a coat and his ears were fine! I really hope this helps you and as it gets warmer hopefully his ears will get bette

A great product you can check out is PETfection Paw Cream. It is a 100% Organic, Non Toxic cream that can be used on any type of dry spot, cut, abrasion, wound, etc. You can use this regularly to help prevent the bleeding, but also to heal up any bleeding, dry spot, or scab. It promotes tissue growth, so I think it will help build up the strength of the tips of the ears. Check it out at www.mypetfection.com. I think it is definitely worth trying! Good luck.