Dogs and Books? I am planning on adopting a dog or puppy in the near future and I have a small problem.

I own three bookshelves and I have over 400 books, I know that my dog will at some point have an "accident" and I wanted to know if anyone had any tips on how to make a barrier or something to protect the bottom shelves and also any training tip to minimize the damage (I know that there will be damage).

Asked by Member 1114686 on Jun 8th 2012 Tagged puppies, training, pottytraining in Dogs and a Clean Home

Answers

Koby

Some dogs chew and some don't. If you have a chewer, get him lots of toys and bones like nylabone and kongs filled with things like peanut butter. A tired dog is a well behaved dog. I'm not saying if you keep him busy that he will be perfectly behaved, but it will minimize any mischief.

Koby answered on 6/8/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Wesley

crate training.
If you want to protect your books I suggest the plastic wrap made for moving furniture. You can get it at U-haul or other places. But with crate training and following a potty protocol you shouldn't have any real issue. If it's an adult dog, the same thing applies. There are tons of resources out there to help you figure out your potty training schedule.

Wesley answered on 6/8/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Crate training, vigilance during house breaking & you should not have any accidents. If you are truly worried put the books on the bottom shelves in a closet until house breaking is complete. Remember..puppies squat when they pee, so he won't be cocking his leg anyway.

Monty (Montgomery)

After losing a few books off the lower shelves, I bought some clear plastic Rubbermaid crates, about as wide and tall as a shelf. I put books in the boxes without lids, put the boxes on the shelves. This way I could see and reach the books by pulling out the box, but they were protected from the puppy. Any valuable books were up high.

Monty (Montgomery) answered on 6/9/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Lola

Ive been "roommates" w Lola, a sm/med dog since 2008. I am an avid bookreader and I have a bookcase - bricks and sheets of wood. it also has 3 shelves w sm stacks of loose books under it. we have moved into 2 different apts. I have actually grabbed toys that were becoming harmful from her and placed them on the top bookshelf. I'm not sure why she doesn't try to knock them off the shelves. Not even once has she even gone near them. Maybe its because I always have one in my hand or I'm reading online. my books have been safe. My shoes , however, have often been used as kindle in the winter!

Lola answered on 7/16/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer