Cornelius

Dog/Puppy Vitamins: What do you recommend?

Now that I have five one month old puppies, I was thinking of having them start taking vitamins when they're a little older and I have two other dogs, my male dog is four years old and I have a female dog that's about a year old. I've been eying on this one liquid vitamins that comes in a bottle called "Troy Nutripet" and I was wondering if that's a good vitamin to start on my puppies and dogs. I don't mind if it's a tablet or liquid... I'm just not quite sure which one is most recommended and actually helps the dogs. Although I do give them their daily exercise and watch their food intakes and manage their diets... I want to keep their bodies secured from other sicknesses.

Asked by Cornelius on Feb 23rd 2010 in Vitamin Supplements

Best Answer

nothing will secure any disease for sure.
Your dog can get sick even if it is fully vaccinated.
At 4 weeks the only thing the babies need is the mother.
But, you should ask the vet what to give to the mom dog if she is skinny after delivery. If the mother dog appears unhealthy don't wait to consult with your vet.
I have never heard of Nutripet.
most vitamins have low doses and also fillers.
Consult with a vet that also may know more about how to maintain the mother dog during nursing. Most people feed a high quality food to the mother before breeding and all the way up to the puppies being weaned. They also increase her food intake to maintain her weight and to produce a good milk flow.good luck

Dieta answered on Feb 23rd.

Answers

Jet

I recommend the vitamins from www.drsfosterandsmith.com because they have fast shipping, great service, and awesome stuff.

Jet answered on 2/23/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

If you are feeding a quality age appropriate dog food, vitamins are not recommended. Unless the dog is diagnosed as missing a specific vitamin, due to illness or hereditary problems, vitamins will only mess up the balance provided by the food and will cause more problems, especially in young, growing puppies.

I agree with Toto. If you are feeding a high quality food your pets are getting everything they need in their diets. Dogs need a daily recommended dose, just like us, and their food provides what is recommended.
When it comes to vitamins sometimes TOO much of one thing is bad for you in the end. High doses of one vitamin or a combination can cause some serious side effects.
Dogs should NEVER be put on a vitamin supplement unless advised to do so by your pet.

Vitamins can cause more problems than they might "solve" or "prevent."

I personally would not give a dog who is on a very high quality food and gets regular exercise a vitamin supplement. The exception would be a case where my vet felt that the dog had a particular medical issue or deficiency which could be better managed by a certain vitamin.

If you end up deciding to give the dogs vitamins, check with your vet. It's generally not recommended to give dogs under 14 months old any vitamins whatsoever.

And to be safe, if you decide to give them something, consider adding a full blood panel to their yearly checkup (or better, in six months) to make sure the dogs don't have any toxic levels of vitamins or minerals in their system. That way, you know for sure you're not doing anything that inadvertently is hurting them.

:-)

Chocolate

I don't think it's nessecary if your feeding a good food like Wellness or Innova(no grocery store brands). If you supplement, do a whole food supplement such as yogurt and unseasoned meats.

Feeding the right foods to start with prevents illness, Throwing in a vitamin with a cruddy corn based feed wont' do much,

Chocolate answered on 2/23/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I would also agree about the dog food you feed should have everything they need. But if a vet says they need something , then i would look at geeting them some vitamins.