freddy

doggie smell in vacum

Hi this is to do with the vacum ,what can I put in vacum to keep doggie odors to a minimum , would moth crysltsl in bag help . I keep changing the bags and that can become expensive ,help or what to put on carpet before vacuming or get rid of carpets , can not always shampoo carpeting thanks for any help Rose

Asked by freddy on Nov 4th 2009 Tagged howoftentoshampoocarpeting in Pet Products

Answers

before you vacuum, open the vac and spray the bag with fabric refresher, OR, you can take a small piece of paper towel wet it with vanilla and put it in the bag. I put a little cinnamon on the paper towel when it's wet with the vanilla sometimes. Moth flakes/crystals contain napthalene it iS toxic.

www.hardwarestore.com

it's a pdf file and will take a little while, a couple of minutes. But it will change your mind about using mothballs AT ALL.

Diesel

If it is a bagless, there isn't too much to do except keep it clean but it is one with bags you can put Arm and Hammer on the carpet before you vacuum or put it in the bag

Diesel answered on 11/4/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

For either a bagless or a bag one I use a piece of paper towel that I have sprayed until wet with that orange citrus scent for cars. I just suck up the paper towel and it works great!!! You can also spray a papertowel and place it on your furnace air cleaner... that works great as well for all over doggy smell in the house.

Tracker

You could try cleaning it with arm and hammer odor mute. All you do is sprinkle it on your carpet let it set for a while and then vaccume. It will have a picture of a cat and dog in the box but that might take away the smell. It took the smell of skunk off of my dog so this is a good chance this might work.

Tracker answered on 11/4/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Rusty

Oreck sells tablets you can put in the bag of your vacuum cleaner to make it smell nice. Each one lasts for a month, so they aren't very expensive.

Rusty answered on 11/4/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Frankly, I'd save up the money you'd be spending on the bags and invest in a bagless vacuum. We have a Dyson, and I realize they are pricey, but it eliminates all dog odor and fur and it never does lose its suction, just like the ads claim. We've had the same filter in for three years and still don't need to change it.

It was honestly one of the best investments we've ever made in terms of an appliance. I used to vacuum every day with an expensive Eureka that I had and it had bags. The first time I used the Dyson, I couldn't believe how much dirt and dust came up. The carpets looked brand new. I had no idea how much was still trapped in there.

As for the bags, there are some great odor neutralizing crystals that they sell at The Container Store. You can also sprinkle baking soda on the carpet and vac it up immediately. That absorbs odors naturally and once it's in the bag, it continues to soak up the smell. It's also natural so you don't have to worry it you miss a tiny bit.

June

Have you tried carpet powders? They come in lots of different scents and are make to absorb odors and leave the room smelling fresh. Be careful to only choose the pet safe ones:)

June answered on 10/25/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

SIMBA

Arm & Hammer Pet Fresh carpet deoderizer. Sprinkle on, let sit for a bit. Vacuum. It also helps vacuuming up dog hair easier. We have 3 big dogs. I know. This works better than plain baking soda which I found harder to vacuum up completely.

SIMBA answered on 10/25/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Aces Wild Peterson

If you live near a Restoration Hardware they sell something called vacuum bbs. They are scented beads that really do work wonders. My mom used to clean a dance studio using them and the odor of 150 sweating dancers completely disapeared. Other than that and the other answers Mom says a bagless would be the best course of action. Something with a hepa filter.

Aces Wild Peterson answered on 10/25/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Snoopy

This is in response to all of the recommendations that were given. It is very important that you make sure that whatever you use will not cause an allergic reaction in your dogs. Many scented items can easily cause irritation in a dog. I tried the Arm & Hammer product once myself and it made the entire house smell like the product and my dogs were scratching and sneezing. So if you're going to use anything scented and put anything on your carpet be very careful and watch your dogs and/or cats for reactions. I use the Shark vacuum and have found that it works pretty good.

Snoopy answered on 11/10/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I, too, recommend the Dyson. I have had my Dyson Animal since 2003. Still works awesome. The regular Dyson is cheaper and I am sure it does just as great a job. Mine still has original filters and works great. In the filter area I put a Bounce dryer sheet and change it out when I wash the filter. Also, after vacuuming I spray my rugs with pet safe Febreeze. I have 3 inside dogs, a large German Shepherd, a shepherd mix, and a springer mix. Hope this helps.

Toree Lee

Just put a fabric softener sheet in your vacuum bag. Easy,inexpensive,easy to change and it works. I have 9 pekingese and my house looks and smells good.

Toree Lee answered on 11/10/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I bought an Oreck bagger vaccumm. I found if I buy the manufacturer's bag it works better then the bags at walmart.
If it is a bagger I think my friend uses a fabric sheet she puts it in the bottom of the bag. When your bag is 3/4 full pull it too.
I really don't get much smell from the Oreck. I also clean the bag holder out. I get more odor from my bagless vac. I also like my bagger vac more.
If all else fails you need your carpets cleaned and check your belt, your vaccumm might not be sucking the carpet and dirt up like it should.

Jesse (at Rainbow Bridge)

I stick a dryer sheet in the bag. For my little bagless one I use a couple drops of the fragrance oil from the grocery store ( a drop or 2 on light
bulbs helps too)

Jesse (at Rainbow Bridge) answered on 11/16/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

dukers

I found a febreze vacuum filter at Walmart,works great

dukers answered on 11/18/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Malachi Bubu M.

Since it sounds like you have a bag vacum i would switch to a bagless. Its pretty costly, but worth it.

I just got a new puppy, he STUNK, he stunk up the house, the beds, the couch, even when we walked we had a trail of funk flowing behind us.

We baught a carpet cleaner called;
" Kids 'N' Pets "
Its amazing it Removes urine stains forever, you might not be working with urine but still, all pet stains are gone.

Also before you vacum lay baking soda on the ground. Let it sit 10 minutes or so then vacum, plus if your clothes are funky put a little less than 1/2 cup of baking soda (if you baught; Kids 'N' Pets put 1 cup of that in each wash).

keep repeating vacuming untill you are sure that your house smells good.Another item i recomend you to buy is Febreze Pet Odor ELIMINATOR, it works good.

So basically your shopping list should be;

2 boxes of baking soda

Febreze Pet Odor Eliminator

Kids 'N' Pets instant all-pursose stain and odor removal

good luck!

Malachi Bubu M. answered on 3/1/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

LaCoda

www.armhammervac.com
Mommy also uses the Arm And Hammer PET FRESH Carpet dust before she vacuum. They together work WONDERS.

LaCoda answered on 3/24/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer