Cyndle

Doggie Allergies and skin issues

Hello, my dog is five years old, and we've been batteling allergies in her, and it seems that everything we try dosen't seem to work. She's on byndral every 6-12 hours, we've gotten coutless shampoos to help with the itching like our vet has told us to do, and she's been on antibiotics for quiet a while. We've used creams that the vet has given us as well as over the counter medications, we've even used an e-collar which only seemed o hurt her worse then it helped, becuase she'd shake her head and slap her ears on the side of it to te point she'd cut them open. We've even one as far as putting baby socks on her feet and putting shirt on her, but nothing seemes to help, she'll look like she's getting better, start growing her fur back in and then you'll go to bed and wake up to find that she's competly torn herself up again... I was wondering if there's anything else that anyone might suggest to help her, we're going to be taking her back to the vet soon, because she's torn up her hind leg and it's become infected despite treatment of the wound, and the antibiotics, but we're at a loss as to what else to try

Asked by Cyndle on Jul 21st 2010 in Allergies

Answers

Diesel

What kind of food is she eating? Corn, grains, wheat, soy and so on can cause servere allergies in dogs. I would try looking into a grain free kibble or even feeding Raw. Check out the forums page. Look in the food and nutrition and raw feeders and you will find lots of info that may help you out.

Diesel answered on 7/21/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

She may have some kind of systemic issue that is causing this. I would make sure that your vet does a full blood panel looking at the health via blood of all the internal organs and also the immune system.

Otherwise, allergies like this are most often caused by food allergies. Contrary to popular belief, food allergies most commonly cause allergy and skin issues and rarely cause digestive issues, though they sometimes can occur concurrently.

PLEASE email me for more details on how you can try to figure out what is causing this by doing an elimination diet where you can slowly isolate food sources that may be causing this.

There's a lot of information and Answers only has room for so many words!

Just email me at Jack's account.

Maverick

Mom recommends switching her food. I have food allergies and would also chew on my feet, and right above my tail until they were completely bloody and raw. I was on steroid shots and everything! Mom works for Nutro and would recommend trying the Natural Choice Herring Meal & Potato formula specially formulated for dogs with sensitive skin. The food is high in omegas for healthy skin and coat! It does not contain any ground yellow corn, artificial colors or preservatives, and no chicken by-product meal!
When you do switch foods do so slowly over at least a week to help prevent an upset tummy. Also eliminate any treats that contain wheat, corn, chicken by-product meal, artificial colors or preservatives for at least 12 weeks to see if you see an improvement.

You can find Nutro at your local TSC, Petsmart, and Petco!
www.thenutrocompany.com

Maverick answered on 7/24/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Hi, I share your frustration, my five year old shitsu is also having chronic skin problems. Itchy dry thickened red skin across his chest, legs, groin and neck. He scratches and bites himself till he bleeds. The vets so far prescribed prednicare, cephorum, sporanox and baytril plus daily washing with malaseb and then fuciderm twice a day. This has been going on for about 3 months and is no better. He's had swab and blood test but both non conclusive. The vet thinks its a contact allergy so I've washed all his blankets in non bio detergent and have seperated his run from the garden to keep him off the grass. I've also put him on a hypoallergenic duck and rice kibble just in case its food related. I've read that giving a small amount of Benadryl for the itching helps. Now we have to wait and see. Poor dog is very miserable. Sorry I dont have the majic answer.........