Dog with pancreatis refuses to eat food with needed enzyme

My vet has prescribed a special enzyme powder for my dog that has pancreatis. His pancreas does not produce the need enzymes for digestion. He has gotten very thin. All he wants to eat is boiled chicken breast. He refuses to eat his prescribed low fat dry and canned dog food. When I mix the enzyme in the chicken, he smells it and refuses to eat it. When I give him a small piece of chicken without the needed enzyme, he WILL eat that, but this does not help his medical problem. I am afraid to use chicken broth on his food to entice him to eat because he must have a low fat diet. He is so skinny and losing weight because he's become so stubborn. I'm afraid his is going to die if this goes on much longer.

Asked by Member 1177703 on Jun 30th 2013 Tagged pancreas in Illness & Disease

Answers

Boiled chicken breast does NOT provide the nutrition that dogs need. This is not a substitution for dog food. Try Pill Pockets and put the liquid or powder in the treat, do not touch the outside of the pocket with the hands that touched the medicine. Dry dog food has more protein than wet, so try adding over-the-counter low fat (lite) dog food with the prescription. There are also three makers of prescription dog food (Hill's, Purina and Royal Canin). My animals didn't like the Hill's prescription for stones at all, but like the Purina wet prescription and Royal dry prescription foods. Ask your vet to give you the same prescription food by another manufacturer and don't delay, you can't afford for your little guy to get any skinnier! ^_^