Snoopy

DOG WISDOM PANEL QUESTION

We are looking into getting a DNA wisdom panel test done on our 2 mixed breed dogs.I was reading and the wisdom panel says Parent:A breed that represents approximately 50% of your dog’s DNA. You are likely to see the most physical and behavioral traits from this breed. Dogs with mixed-breed parents will not have a breed represented at this level.

So does that basically mean if my dogs parents are mixed breeds as well they will not be able to tell?

How accurate is this wisdom panel? If im going to pay for it i would like something that is fairly accurate and it will tell me what breeds my dogs are mixed with.

Thankyou, we love both our dogs and think it would be great to know what kind of dogs they are Since we took one in that we found and could not find her home and the other was from a rescue and they were not sure what kind of dog he was.All we know is he DEFINETLY has basset hound in him.

Thankyou.

Asked by Snoopy on Feb 23rd 2011 in Mixed Breeds

Answers

They probably meant they can come up with breeds for them but not a "parent breed".

I don't think anyone really knows how accurate any of the DNA tests are, there's just no way of knowing for certain. I've heard plenty of DNA tests being very obviously far off, though.
Last I heard they only identify about 100 of the most common breeds. There are over 400 dog breeds out there.
That's about all I myself can say on the subject.

If there is less than 50% of any one breed then that would only mean that NEITHER parent was a purebred. As for accuracy... not very IMO. I personally know of TWO purebreds that were tested just for a determination of the accuracy...a labrador and a beagle. NEITHER one came up with greater than 75% of ANY breed.
As for testing both dogs...you would definitely need a separate test for EACH dog...otherwise the results would be totally skewed.

Bianca

There may be several levels of results, with "parent" being the one that has the largest percentage. If your dog has mixed breed parents, it may not say your dog has a huge percentage of one breed or another, but it may detect traces of several breeds.

Some people get a list of two or three breeds, some get a long list, and some do get results that are inconclusive. Some breeds are probably more easily distinguished on this type of test than others. Be sure any breed(s) you THINK might be there, can be detected by the test you choose.

Accuracy seems mixed. Some people even submit samples from their purebreds, just for fun, and get results that their dog is some other breed.

If you have the extra money and want to try it just for fun, it sounds like an interesting thing to try.

Bianca answered on 2/23/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer