Roxy

Dog shedding a lot...why???

I have a boston terrier and she has been shedding for that last 3 weeks so much. If I pet her I will get tons of hair on my hand. I am worried because it is February in Missouri so it is not exactly nice weather. Please help....Is something wrong with her?

Asked by Roxy on Feb 8th 2009 Tagged bostonterrier, shedding in Other Grooming

Answers

Zackintosh CJ

Most likely nothing is wrong.
My dog tends to shed more this time of year then in the summer or when its nice weather.
Dogs living indoors usually have different shedding cycles then outdoor ones.
From living in the same lighting and similar tempurature year round they shed at different times, some even shed year round!
Try getting a slicker brush and a flea comb, brush her with that everyday. I use that on my short-haired dog when he's shedding and that reduces it 70% at least.
Also, what are you feeding her? A low-quality "grocery store" brand of food may be making her shed more than usual.
If she is actually LOSING hair, like clumps coming out and getting bald spots, or seems to have irritated skin, a trip to the vet would be in order.

Zackintosh CJ answered on 2/9/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I have an 8 yr. old Boston.
Right now he is digging and shedding.
It is a sign of spring.
You should buy some baby shampoo it is tearless. This will relieve the hair that is coming out and his skin.
I always use this shampoo cause of their pug faces, they always get soap in their eyes and ears.

bully

your dog may be shedding but if you see really noticable bald spots then you might want to take her to the vet cause she might have bad allergies and she may need a medicated shampoo.

bully answered on 2/27/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Darcy

I have a Boston, she seems to shed quite a bit during certain times of the year. I use a lint roller, like what you use on clothes, it works much better than a brush because of the type of coat they have... I go through quite a few of the sticky papers, but it seems to work. I'm sure nothing is wrong :)

Darcy answered on 11/23/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer