scruffy

Dog scared of crates

my dearest scruffy is afraid of crates. i wanna make it like a safe heaven for her when there is thunder since she stays outside.

Asked by scruffy on Mar 4th 2009 in Crate Training

Answers

Leon

The best way to introduce a dog to a crate is over a period of several days and maybe weeks. Keep the crate around her where she is living and put a nice soft bed in it for her. Don't close the door if she decides to go inside it. You may even want to put some treats or food in it for her. She will eventually learn to see the crate as her "den", but you have to move slow and let her decide to go inside.
It's worth the long process, I assure you.

Leon answered on 3/4/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Leon is correct about how to properly crate train a dog BUT you don't crate dogs outside...Scruffy needs at least a good insulated dog house if she is going to stay outside...Crates will not protect from the elements.

My dog was that way at first.
I associated the crate with positive things. I sometimes feed him in there, I toss toys into it when we play, and I always leave it open when he's not in it so that he can go in and check things out.

Crates are like a den and dogs like this kind of area.
The reason that dogs often don't like their crates is because people will put them in there when they are "being bad", and close the door otherwise. They often make no effort to show the dog the positive side of a crate.