Dog lymph node enlarged after surgery to remove cysts and broken tooth

My 9 yr old dog had surgery to remove 3 sebaceous gland cysts and a tooth removed on the upper left side of her mouth - it was broken and infected. 3 weeks after, I noticed that she had a lump on the left side of her neck in the area where I would expect her submandibular lymph node to be.
I took her to the vet and they aspirated a brown goo/liquid out of the area that had a large number of white blood cells and did not appear to have any cancerous cells. She has been on Clindamycin and Prednisone with no change. The enlarged area has filled with fluid again and I had it drained again, just to have it fill a third time. The second time it was drained, the fluid was much more liquid and not as viscous as the first time.
We decided to try Clindamycin again, but since it is not working, I'm wondering what to do. The vet said to put in a drain, but it might fill again when the drain is removed. I could have the node removed, but should I if I don't know why it's filling? Help;-)

Asked by Member 1035339 on May 29th 2011 Tagged cysts, lymphnodes, dogs in Health & Wellness

Best Answer

Are they sure they are dealing with a lymph gland and not the salivary gland that is also right there??? They are so close they are sometimes mistaken for each other. It would make sense that the salivary gland could be an issue if there was any damage from removing the tooth. OR there is perhaps still a low level infection remaining where the tooth was...along that line, has the aspirate been cultured? Perhaps that would be worth trying next to make sure they are using the correct antibiotic. Sometimes the simplest antibiotic change makes all the difference, as well as the length that the antibiotic is taken... if there is infection in the jawbone, it will take weeks and weeks of antibiotics to clear it.
Before I removed the lymph gland I would certainly culture the aspirate and/or continue the antibiotics for a longer period of time.

answered on May 29th.

There Are No Other Answers