Betsy

Dog losing hair on hind legs and butt

We have a 1 1/2 year old pit bull. Recently, we've noticed that she is losing hair on her hind legs near her butt. She is constantly chewing and licking her rear end. We rescued her off the streets back in October. She did have mange all over her when we first found her. We immediately took her to the vet and she got completely better. Now, she is always chewing and licking her rear end to the point of losing hair. Does anyone know what could be wrong and what we could do to remedy it?

Asked by Betsy on May 24th 2010 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Sydney

This has happened to my dog twice. The first time I took her in, the vet said it could be fleas or an allergy. We treated her with 2 types of medication, one to stop the itching and one to make her feel better. One of the drugs was prednisone, used to treat inflammatory diseases like allergies. It's also used for excessive itching. She got better right away-pills 2x a day! The 2nd time the same treatment and she got better again. Because I didn't see fleas on her we couldn't tell if she had them-the vet said sometimes just the eggs will cause problems for some dogs. I'm thinking her problem is due to an allergy to fleas as opposed to something else because we hadn't changed anything. But like people, dogs can develop allergies, and it's difficult to know what the dog is allergic to. I don't know that you can treat your dog without medication. The vet did suggest dog food with fish rather than beef or chicken. Predisone made her thirsty; she drank a lot of water-had to go out more.

Sydney answered on 5/24/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Pamela       -    Adopted!!!!

Don't know which kind of mange she had, but it could be back. It also could be Throid, allergies....
Click on the link below and go through the list, maybe something makes sense to you.

Of course - see your Vet about treatment.

www.peteducation.com

Pamela - Adopted!!!! answered on 5/24/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Yes, the vet. It could be as simple as the anal glands.

My one dog recently came up with a bare spot on his bottom. I may add some bedding to the crate he spends most of the time in. The door is open, That is where he chooses to nap.

Reese's Pieces May he rest in

My pom started losing his fur on his butt and around his neckline. We had him tested and found he had cushing disease. Hair loss is one of the symptoms for cushings.

Reese's Pieces May he rest in answered on 5/25/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I would say back to vet.
Mites can reoccur, and some mites never go away.
Also watch giving predisone, that is a steriod and also has side effects. That can be elevated temps, constant drinking and pee/pooing... It can be worse to give dogs steriods over long periods. Most vets won't do it. They will want to find the cause. You might have to consider the elimination process with foods, no grains, more meat.
To just throw it out, the raw diet has helped so many allergy dogs. Dogster has that also.
watch constant bathing that causes problems. Even totally organic shampoos can dry skin out. I would go with all meat diet and use even some pure salmon oil. But, vet first. If he just wants to medicate you don't have to do it. You can do the elimination process yourself and find what is right for him to eat and to sooth his skin. I use pet promise shampoo. They are online. www.petpromiseinc.com I think? try them. Always rinse over and over with any shampoo.