dog is unable to have bowel movement

shrieks when trying to go. No obstructions as per vet.
Was ex-rayed and nothing found. Not listless, able to run and jump and be normal, no loss of apetite.

Asked by Member 1010223 on Nov 1st 2010 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Buckeye

Didn't the vet you went to reccomend anything, or give you some kind of medication to help make your dog go? If not, then I suggest finding a different vet. Its not normal for a veternarian to let a dog go home like that.

If its to the point where he is shrieking when he is trying to go, then its seems pretty severe. Try giving him a small amount of canned pumpkin. This will loosen the stool and might make him poo easier.

However, I still reccomend a vet. This doesn't seem normal. Do you know if he's eaten anyting to make him like this? Has he had any change of food?

Buckeye answered on 11/1/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Did the vet ultra sound him? Ask the vet for stool softener. My daughter worked at a shelter and they had a cat with the same symptoms. They did x-rays on him & couldn't find anything either. It took them weeks to figure out what was wrong. He had a deformed portion of intestine. It had a small pocket that formed in the lower section where poop would collect and expand the intestine. They found it with exploratory surgery. He has to be on stool softener for the rest of his life and cat food that was for sensitive stomach (with wet food & some dry). When he went to the bathroom he would scream in pain every time. He still has some occasional pain, but it is nothing like it was. I hope that helps. Good Luck!