Dog is losing weight fast 5# per month. No parasites, blood work was good HELP PLEASE

My 4 year old white boxer started losing weight in November. He has lost about 15#. Vet checked his blood & can find nothing. No parasites. Has allergies but was born with them. Eats good but still losing weight. He also is losing his hair . CAN ANYONE PLEASE HELP ME!

Asked by Member 978705 on Mar 30th 2010 Tagged weightloss, hairloss in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Including links to possible causes, please read why your Vet may not have gotten a positive test! Giardia is a sneaky, protozoa parasite and because of it's life cycle can be very difficult to find in stools.

www.peteducation.com

You said the blood work was fine so I assume thyroid test show nothing abnormal.

You mention he eats well, what are you feeding? Abnormal stools at all? Vomiting?
What allergies?

I agree with Snickers completely.

A friend has a dog who lost weight rapidly and everything came back fine, including some sophisticated carcinoid tests. Turns out the dog had an ulcer, of all things.

There are blood tests for this and sometimes they are just not ordered because the dog has atypical symptoms...her dog had no other symptoms.

So maybe try to rule that out, too.

Max (aka Sebastian)

The others have good answers, but I would also suggest getting a second opinon, sometimes it takes a second set of eyes, or different experance to be able to see the answer to the problems.
Good luck.

Max (aka Sebastian) answered on 3/31/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I agree with that and would like to add that some basic blood tests might not include all you also have diseases that are with the lymph nodes, tick diseases, diabetes, thyroid diseases. Sorry to say but it could be a thyroid problem if the dog is thin, loosing hair and he could of been born with it and you assumed it was an allergy it might be time to expand your ideas from the basic things.
Look into a state university the do studies and are more apt to find things then the vet's office that does deal with more common day to day issues.
Michigan State is one. And there is another in Indianapolis, IN somewhere.

Thryoid and cancer issues are what come to mind. Have you check his thryoid? There is a blood test that cost about $150 that I had done for my dog. It tests like a zillion things, a complete blood work up. I had it done because my dog was recovering from cancer but it looks at everything. It's not the routine blood tests that you get at your vet and vets usually dont mention it because of the cost. Ask your vet about it, it's expensive but it may give you the answers you need, obviously something is going on. Good Luck, hope it's something minor!

Is it cold where you live and does your dog spend a lot of time outside? Dogs who are subjected to cold temperatures, especially short haired dogs like boxers, can use a tremendous amount of body energy just keeping warm. It is not unusual for them to lose 5 or even more pounds per month during the cold weather, unless they are provided with extra calories in their diet. My house is fairly cold and my Frenchies and poodles need to eat almost 1/3 more food daily to keep their normal weight throughout the Winter months. Once the warm weather comes back, they all go back to their normal rations. Along the same line, as the weather warms the extra coat the dog grew for the colder weather will be shed, and can come out in pretty big amounts.