Dog is getting his teeth cleaned soon

My dog is going in to get his teeth cleaned soon, is there any thing I should worry about when they do this procedure? Is there anything I can do to make him more comfortable?

Asked by Member 747865 on Jun 4th 2009 in Dental Care

Best Answer

Aww, poor baby! It's a relatively simple procedure. Just like us, his mouth might be sore for a day after or so, mostly from keeping it open for so long while under the anesthesia.

The biggest risk in a procedure like this is the actual anesthesia, just like for people. But, really, it's common procedure where the vast majority of dogs have no complications.

As for what to expect, I think you'll see a very sleepy and possibly disoriented Einstein when you get him back, but he should be totally normal the following morning and back to his old self.

The sedation can sometimes make them sleepy and disoriented for hours after, but that's quite normal.

As for keeping him comfy, simply treat him like normal, but keep him on the quiet side. So, if you normally take him for an after dinne walk, for example, just go a couple of blocks so he can go potty and come back.

In a few days, you might start brushing his teeth if you don't already. Good luck, I'm sure he will be ok!

Jack answered on Jun 4th.

Answers

i would talk to whoever is doing it because someone i know had their dog's teeth cleaned and the dog died of too much numbing stuff being swallowed, but i've never heard of any other dogs having that happen

bandit

It isn't unusual for the vet to pull loose teeth during a cleaning. This adds to the bill and I am guessing you will feel bad about your dog losing teeth. Depending on the age of your dog and the condition of his teeth, it may be more than one or two. A few months ago there was a poster who brought his dog in for a cleaning and the vet had to pull teeth, and the poster was outraged. If you would feel the same way, you really should talk to him about it before your dog's teeth are cleaned.

bandit answered on 6/5/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer