Maximus

Dog has loose stool with blood

Started on Thursday, came home and he had an accident in the house which he never does, and then another accident a few hours later, very squirty looking (no blood yet) He was going to the bathroom about every 3 hours, I boiled some rice to hopefully settle his stomach, he's been on the same food, didn't notice that he got into anything. Called the Vet on Friday and brought in a stool sample because I noticed blood, came back normal, they said to Fast him for 24 hours and they put him on a bland diet of rice and boiled chicken. No bowel movement then for approx 24 hours, then when he did it was still a little runny, but had some structure to it, didn't see blood but today there was some, going back and forth between pudding-like and almost formed. Made an appointment to bring him in to the vet.

7 years old, lab mix, No new food, no new environment or stress. Just wondering what I should be expecting or what the possibilities are.

Asked by Maximus on Nov 23rd 2009 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Shiver Me Timbers

Very cute dog by the way. Looks a lot like he has Beagle in him to top off that Lab. Honestly, it can be a lot of things from Parvo to worms. If the samples came back normal, I'd get a second vets opinion and tests done, then ask them to run other tests to find and eliminate the possibilities. I'd rather spend a fortune catching something serious, or to find out it wasn't serious, than to spend very little and discover that my dog was going to die because I didn't know this or that and didn't have time to fix it. Definitely a good idea to take him in to the vet and get an actual full on physical done, along with other tests. I hope your dog is okay. Also, try not to worry a huge amount until your vet lists all the possibilities with you and how to eliminate those possibilities. You don't need to be panicking at the vet and scare your dog too.

Shiver Me Timbers "Charlie" answered on 11/23/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I would just keep an eye on him. Blood streeks could just be irritation in the intestinal area.
Maybe the dog ate some sticks or outside gunk, not sure.
but, I would see if it runs it's course, sounds like it has gotten better.
hope he gets better soon.

My experience... most common problem hookworms, they need a specific wormer, Panacur won't do it. Have the vet do a fecal to be sure and get a wormer that is specific. Many vets just give Panacur for everything and are convinced it works for everything, it doesn't. That is why there are other wormers out there, otherwise there would just be Panacur.
Choice #2 is bacterial infection, could be any of a number.
What did your vet test for?
Choice #3 something he has ingested has somehow made its way into his intestines and is causing inflamation or actually abrading his intrestines.
I think that I would consider another vet at this point. I know mine would try to find the EXACT cause today.

It's really good you had the stool sample checked. That means something like worms, or another parasite isn't causing this. The rice and boiled chicken should help (and it definitely can cause much less frequent bowel movements, so don't be surprised if he doesn't go as often.)

To me, it sounds like he got into something that made him sick. This can be anything, from eating a piece of discarded food to licking a blade of treated grass. Sometimes, we just never know.

The blood, if it is fairly bright in color and either streaky or in droplets is more than likely just a sign of intestinal or rectum irritation. The blood you need to worry about is sort of IN the stool, if that makes sense, and darker in color. That indicates internal bleeding. It's not uncommon for dogs to have a bit of blood with diarrhea.

Personally, I've been through this with all my dogs and we never figured it out. I feel it's just something that happens. I'm feeling like it will resolve itself.

colitis in canine; loose stool with blood can be cause by a virus or bacteria.
Glad you did see the vet ....
also, can even be a new allergy.... dogs can gain allergies at any time.
SEE here : veggie diet for colitis:
en.allexperts.com

Looks like your DAD and MOM are doing a great job caring for you...
GET well soon!