Dog Got Attacked By Neighboor Dog

Some people live on the other street have a big dog. All So the dog ALWAYS is out in their front yard unleashed! I dont think I have ever seen it on a leash!.. Anyway, I just went out to take our Bichon (3 year old Ace) for a quick walk around the block. As me and Ace were walking up to our drive way the nighbors mix breed dogs comes running over and attacked him! The dog was practically choking him by the neck! I was trying to him back, but he was coughing and gasping and crying like crazy, so he was getting choked while he was getting attacked! There wasnt really anything else I could do but try to pull the dogs appart! After a min. Ace was scratching the other dog and trying to free himself. The worst thing is that the owner of the dog did'nt even say ANYTHING and he told me to get MY dog away from HIS!!! The guy clearly could see that his whole face was scratched and bloody and was coughing but he just walked away all angry and said it was MY fault!! What should I do???

Asked by Member 1149830 on Feb 3rd 2013 Tagged attack in Laws & Legislation

Answers

Hogwash..all of it. Bordering on offensive 449.
First..if you have witnesses..get their names. If you needed vet treatment, keep receipts. Call animal control & file a report. You could sue in civil court if he does not offer to pay your vet bills.
Find out your local bylaws. Call animal control every time you see the dog loose in the yard.
If he gets cited/fined he may decide to keep his dogs under control.
Hugs to you & hope Ace is OK.

As Wiley said…
Report the attack. Your police department can contact animal control or take the report if your town doesnt have an animal control officer.

Take your dog to the Vet for care.

Hope he is okay, so sorry it happened.

Report it... your dog was on a leash and his was not, and clearly not under vocal control, end of story. He will change his tune if he receives a warning or a fine.

the options is sue the dog by first doing the legal stuff contacting the police make a file and animal control but then animal control may consider euthanizing the dog since its dangerous and bites and then you feel guilty you just killed a dog since most likely you are a dog lover. But then your dog was innocent and in pain, so well, its kind of a gray area.

The dog was the owners responsibility and didn't train it right to not attack, so if you sue with witness you MAY win the case with $$ to be paid for your damages which is the vet bill to fix your dog, but then well the dog most likely will be ordered to be euthanized... sigh.. so sad and gray area... the chances that the court will order the the dog be trained will be slim because its just life, they get rid of the problems, its like a human stabs someone, he is put to jail and not just retrained as the system doesn't realize that training works but only penalty works, that's how I see it.