Molly

Dog being agressive with bird

My grandmother has a dog and a new green cheeked conure. She got him almost two months ago and he has been nosing him around roughly whenever he escapes from someone's shoulder or finger. How do we stop this behavior and jelousy?

Asked by Molly on Oct 13th 2012 in Aggression

Best Answer

Maggie

I currently deal with that exact problem. Green cheeks with dogs. With us, we let the dogs and the Green Cheek acclimate to each other slowly. Basically, keep the bird in the cage when dogs are around. Let the dogs grow accustomed to the bird. But, in the long run, you'll never be able to completely stop the behavior if at all. It really boils down to the nature of that dog.

I have some dogs that ignore the bird, other's that want to play and some that hunt it. So in our house, we allow interactions under severely close supervision. Specific dogs we flat out keep away from the bird.

It boils down to knowing your dog, knowing the bird, and your own judgement on the dog's character. When in doubt, just keep them apart.

Maggie answered on Oct 20th.

Answers

Given the size difference between the two I would keep them separated.

I agree with keeping them separated. This is mostly because dogs still have some of their prey drive and he may kill the bird. I wouldn't chance it.