Samson

Does your vets bedside manner need an overhaul?

I have been going to the same vet for 20 years. His business has grown tremendously since then. He now has about 10 vets on staff and 15 or more vet techs. The recent illness of my standard poodle let me get acquainted with a vet that I had never seen before. She was very professional, ran the correct tests and basically saved my dogs life. But her bedside manner is awful, no personality and I cannot tell if she really cares about my dog. I will not bring my dogs in to see her if it can be helped, but I do think she is very smart to catch the lepto in my poodle. How do any of you feel about a vet that is obviously well trained in diseases, but you are unable to talk and ask questions? I always felt she was looking at me like I was stupid and she did not have the time to waste on my questions.

Asked by Samson on Dec 5th 2013 in Health & Wellness

Answers

I would not use a vet like that. Especially since I'm known for asking a lot of questions and asking for things to be explained. If you can't talk to that vet, don't use her, unless absolutely necessary.

I started with the partner of a large animal hospital, but noticed that he was not warm and charged me for everything, top dollar. I switched to another partner because he has operated on every one of my animals. He is also Catholic and does not like to talk about euthanasia, so there is another partner that I see for that. You can make appointments to see a particular vet- they are a service business and will understand. It's also nice to have someone there at a 24-hour hospital for your pets in case you need emergency care too, and the residents and newer vets usually do night duty. ^_^

Winston Smith

I'd look at her if I ever needed a second opinion. To say the truth, I'm not sure if I'd keep seeing her. If my dog is severely sick I'd go for what I think would be best for him.

Is she really looking at you like you were stupid, or maybe she has a permanent -ehem- face? My cat's vet sometimes strikes people as that, but if you actually start asking questions, he'll answer them, and he cares greatly about my pets.

I think that the the vet's ability is more important to me than whether he's nice to me or not. I wouldn't take my pets to vaccinate with a not-nice vet, but if it was something serious... I guess I'd go. Some vet are very nice but lack the skill. Of course, lepto is not exactly an extremely rare disease, maybe other vets would've caught it fast as well. If you think she's particularly brilliant, I'd keep going to her. However, if she's just "good", there are plenty of other "good" vets you may like better.

Winston Smith answered on 12/15/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer