Does parvo have any lasting effects after they recover?

I had a catahula get parvo 4 years ago. He now seems to be a little off. He is about 65lbs and healthy as a horse. But, he is scared of his shadow! Sounds tuff and looks tuff, but scared of quick movement. Could there be brain damage from the parvo?

Asked by Member 819508 on Mar 25th 2009 Tagged parvo in Breeds

Answers

Isabelle

I do not have experience with canine parvo, but I cared for a litter of kittens with feline distemper - a disease that is not interchangeable but extremely similar.

The one kitten that survived from the litter did so after suffering from a high fever for over a week and all of the other terrible symptoms. He was a little slow to develop but has always been a fabulous pet. The vet even told me that I might expect him to be a little "special" because of possible damage done by the sustained high fever. We estimated him to be about 3 weeks when he started showing symptoms and had been born feral.

He is very healthy at about 2 years-old, but is very clumsy and took a while to learn to do things like put his feet down when being put on the floor after being held.

Isabelle answered on 3/25/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I doubt that he has any kind of brain damage. If he was seriously ill and dehydrated enough to have brain damage, you'd see manifest in other ways.

Dogs CAN get so sick from parvo that they get brain damage, but it's rare for them to survive at all once it gets to that point. And, those dogs have issues with vision, balance and coordination and are sometimes indiscriminately aggressive. In a nutshell: if your dog had brain damage from parvo, you would know because the symptoms would be extreme and much different than what you described, which is more than likely just a personality or behavioral issue.

Some dogs are skittish. I think that's all that's going on.

:)

Ace

I am pretty sure that doesn't have anything to do with it. Both of my dogs have had parvo, and nothing is wrong with them now. They are both fine. You may want to get your dog to the vet and see if they can do a test, or something to find out whats going on. There may be nothing at all wrong with him, he is just a timid dog. Sometimes it happens. Your best bet is to get him into the vets office. Hope everything works out okay. Good luck
Ace

Ace answered on 3/25/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

our dog Molly had parvo as a puppy.We began noticing she would run into things,like she couldnt see what was in front of her.Then we noticed that we can walk right by her and she wouldnt notice us until we spoke.Being a nurse I examined her eyes and noticed the white pearly color where the iris or black part of the eye should be.This will shine brighter in light.We took her to the vet and yes,she has cataracts in both eyes.She is almost completely blind.She is only 4 years old.Sounds like your dog may be having trouble seeing whats around her,causing her to be aprehensive.Look at her eyse with a flashlight.