Loki

Does my pug puppy need to be fully vaccinated to go outside?

The breeder we got our 12 week old pug from did not provide proof that he was vaccinated. Our vet said to start all over again and keep him inside for the next 6 weeks! I cannot imagine keeping the poor thing indoors that long! He is on Advantage multi and has gotten his first round of vaccines. We know to keep him away from other dogs, but we want to start taking him on walks to work on leash and potty training. Any help would be appreciated!

Asked by Loki on Jan 11th 2009 in Health & Wellness

Answers

You don't have to keep him inside inside...He can still go outside to potty and in a supervised environment. But don't let him anywhere that other dogs frequent, no pet stores, no side walks, etc. The biggest thing is keeping him away from other dogs feces and other dogs in general.

Bam-Bam, CGC answered on 1/11/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Lillian

No, your puppy does not need to be fully vaccinated at all to go outside just so long as you keep him away from other dogs that have not been vaccinated. It is safe though, for your dog to meet with other dogs as long as you are sure that they are vaccinated. However, allergies can occur and the decisions you make are entirely up to you.

Lillian answered on 1/11/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Zackintosh CJ

Please don't listen to your vet!!!
If you keep a puppy inside until he has his shots (6 months-ish) he will be a lot harder to socialize and maybe turn out to be an aggressive dog because he wasn't socialized!!
Take him to "safe" places like puppy training classes, friends houses etc so he can be socialized without being exposed to other dogs who have not been vaccinated, like at pet stores, dog parks, etc.
Even letting him out in your backyard, or to go for a walk is not likely to get him exposed to a dangerous disease like distemper or parvo.
Paw mail me if you have any questions!

Zackintosh CJ answered on 1/11/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Malty

I am not disputing anyone. I'm sure these answers are right. My experience is I had a puppy that had all her shots and when she was operated on for an inguinal hernia and being spayed she did contract parvo from another puppy in the hospital who had it. She was lucky and had a milder case of it. We don't know if it was from lack of good sanitization or that it was a rare case. The Vet said this is rare but does happen. Even though her case was considered mild, it was terrible for her and myself. She did suffer, so therefore when I got the second pup I told the Vet I do not want to take any chances with this little guy and he did say that during parvo season he would recomend them not going out at all to fully protect them, but someone could still bring the germ in on their shoes. My second puppy stayed inside until all his shots, it may have been cruel but I couldn't ever take the chance of my second pup going through what the first one did. Now I am worried about having him neutered.

Malty answered on 1/11/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer