Lucky

Does my ACD look like she's a mixed breed?

People are constantly asking me what breed my dog Lucky is. They often ask if she's a Australian Cattle Dog/German Shepherd mix.

The people we bought her from said she's a purebred ACD. We saw the mom and she looked like an ACD. The dad wasn't on the property. They said we could get her "papers" if we wanted, but I didn't care then. Now I'm a little curious and considering doggie DNA.

Lucky is the most awesome dog ever. She's happy, smart, active and my constant shadow! She's about 20" tall at the withers. She weighs about 55 pounds.

What do you think?

Asked by Lucky on Jun 6th 2012 in Breeds

Answers

well, 55 lbs is pretty large for a female ACD- they are usually more like 40. 20 inches is also kind of tall for the breed.

She also appears to have larger ears and a blunter muzzle that typical in the breed. This might be why people are guessing GSD mix. (Also, she is nearly solid red, which is less common for ACDs, that might be throwing them off too.)

In the end, I really can't say. The ACD breed is pretty diverse, outside of show lines. She could be an off-type purebred, or a actually a mix.

If you do the DNA test, don't take it as gospel- many owners of purebreds have tested their dogs (just for fun) and got back totally bizarre results, not even MIXES of their (known) breed! I think the tests have gotten more accurate recently, but still not perfect.

Lucky - Australian Shepherd/German Shepherd mix. That's all I see in her.

Starbutt

does it really matter? if it doesn't then I would not get a DNA test. you kow what this breed looks like here is a link to see if your dog looks like the one in the picture

www.akc.org

here is nother link of all sorts of ACD

search.aol.com

hope it helps

Rhayden

Starbutt answered on 7/22/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer