Myah

Does my 65lb 3yr old Huskie need to eat more than once a day?

We just started the raw diet. I'm not sure how much, how often and exactly what she needs to be eating. I've been pretty much winging it. She averages about 1.3 lbs of raw meat per day according to her weight ratio. What should I also be giving her? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Asked by Myah on Jul 1st 2010 in Raw Food

Answers

Hi Myah. You should check out the Raw Forum. Folks there will be more than happy to give you all the info you want/need.

I guess i have always felt i would hate to only eat once a day and then have to wait 24 hours to eat again. I have always done twice a day myself. But i guess there are alot of people that only feed once a day. I will let people on raw diet say more about this.

Zorro

I would cut that in half and feed once in the morning and once at night. It is better for their metabolism. Not sure how tall she is but 65lbs sounds a bit over weight. Then again I can't really tell without seeing her in person.

Zorro answered on 7/1/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Hector

I feed my dogs once a day. They range from 40 lbs to 125 lbs.

I feed them around noon instead of late evening so they will have the energy they need during the day. I give them a pretty decent snack around 7pm, and of course I leave dry out for them 24/7. I occassionally will give them table scraps here and there, but it isn't an everyday thing. As I mentioned before, they get their "big" meal once a day. They are big dogs, so I do try to toss a little extra throughout the day when they have been overly active. They tell me when they are really hungry and need more, but usually they are tired by night time and ready for a good nights sleep.

I home prepare their meals and my vet say's they are all fit as fiddles.

Anyway, this routine works for us, it might work for your Myah as well. She's beautiful!!!

Hector answered on 7/1/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

We eat once a day even on the raw. 2 dogs eat once a day raw.
Then if the dog is heavy on the work load you can feed twice but no exercise for over an hour during the day to prevent bloat.
I feed normally at the end of the day no matter what I am feeding.
It will digest better when the dog is cool.
I just had a big competition so currently I am feeding twice a day to pick up a few pounds she lost.

On raw, the stomach is more efficient if you feed one large meal a day.
The best description I ever read of the canine stomach is that it is like an accordian. When it is empty, it looks like a piece of intestine with little folds all over it. When the dog fills it stomach with one large meal, these folds are stretched out and release gastric juices. If they don't get stretched out, it simply isn't as efficient.
Some dogs simply can't do one meal a day. My two went to one meal a day on their own, by refusing their second meal.
Definitely check out the raw forums!

Bam-Bam, CGC answered on 7/4/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer