Lou Ferrigno

does having a dog neutered at a young age affect his growth?

Asked by Lou Ferrigno on Nov 6th 2008 in Spaying & Neutering

Answers

Jett

No, no of course not. Puppies should be neutered, about 9 or 10 weeks young.

Jett answered on 11/6/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I disagree 100% with the previous poster. It depends on the breed and how big they are to get. The majority of mastiff breeders will ONLY sell their pups under a spay/neuter contract that requires the alteration after 1 year. With Bam-Bam, I am not allowed to neuter him until he's 1 year old, but after discussing with his breeder, I am waiting until he is 2 years old so that he can reach his full potential. However, this is more common in GIANT breeds, not large breeds or medium breeds. If you have anything other than a GIANT breed, then I say neuter when the previous poster mention. Giant breeds grow until they are 2-3ish years old, sometimes older, and when they come from a good breeder, that breeder wants them to be the best representation of their kennel possible, so they request that they aren't neutered until later. My breeder personally introduced me to a man who did not take her advice and he ended up with a 90lb mastiff. But again, this is for GIANT breeds.

Bam-Bam, CGC answered on 11/6/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

I was told that neutering German Shepherds at a young age makes them grow tall and lanky. Not sure how it early neutering affects other breeds.
I was also told that early neutering has been linked to bone cancer.

Buddy Boy

I have never heard as young as 9-10 weeks. I think thats a bit too young. Most say about 5-6 months is when you should spay/neuter. And yes, I have also heard of waiting a year. If you neuter before 6 months, you avoid the chances of getting testicular cancer by quite a bit.

Buddy Boy answered on 11/6/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Gabe

Yes it can affect his growth.

• if done before maturity, increases the risk of osteosarcoma (bone cancer) by a factor of 3.8; this is a
common cancer in medium/large and larger breeds with a poor prognosis.
• increases the risk of cardiac hemangiosarcoma by a factor of 1.6; this is a common cancer and
major cause of death in some breeds
• triples the risk of hypothyroidism
• increases the risk of geriatric cognitive impairment
• triples the risk of obesity, a common health problem in dogs with it the many associated health
problems associated with obesity
• quadruples the small risk (<0.6%) of prostate cancer
• doubles the small risk (<1%) of urinary tract cancers
• increases the risk of orthopedic disorders
• increases the risk of adverse reactions to vaccinations

If you can maintain control of your dog and keep him away from females in heat maturity for most larger breeds is two years. If you cannot keep him away from females in heat despite the risks have him neutered.

Gabe answered on 11/6/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Dexter

Ask your vet, he/she went to school for a reason and should be able to answer this for you better than anyone else can.

Dexter answered on 11/6/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Yes, absolutely!

When a dog is neutered, you are changing his normal hormone levels. Hormones control sexual urges and sexual maturing, but they also play a role in growth and normal development, both physical and mental. When you neuter a dog before he is physically and mentally grown, you change the rate at which he does so, which means you are affecting his growth process and his maturing process.

It is generally recommend that responsible owners wait with neutering their dogs, especially large breed dogs, until they are fully grown, or at around one year of age. Many sport dog owners who actively work their dogs prefer to wait until the dog has also mentally matured, around the age of two to three years of age, before making a decision to alter.

Ace

I had my pup Ace neutered at 3 months. He is now 7 months and 65 pounds. He is growing normal, and getting very big. It does not affect them at all. Ace is proof of that.

Ace answered on 11/20/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer