Elizabeth [Play in Peace]

Does canine flea and tick shampoo work on Lice? If so, how exactly?

My human sister has the lice! She wonders if Sergeant's Flea and Tick shampoo will help her with the problem. The bottle says she shouldn't use it but she's seriously wondering because she says 'The only major difference between fleas and lice is that one can jump...' So...

She wants to know if it'll work before she goes and spends a lot on lice shampoo. Also, if it would work, exsactly how would it work, would the lice absorb it or does it absorb through the skin?

If it doesen't work and humans shoulden't use it, then why do you use it on dogs if its not good enough for humans!?

Asked by Elizabeth [Play in Peace] on Mar 12th 2009 Tagged lice, shampoo, flea, tick in Pet Products

Answers

Using pet flea or tick shampoo to try and treat head lice would be an irresponsible and dangerous thing to do, especially since there is a clear warning not to do it.
Head lice DOES NOT live on dogs and it is completely different from a flea or a tick.
You say she spends a lot of money on lice shampoo so I can assume this is a recurring problem.
Most head lice shampoos do not kill the nits, (the eggs) it only kills the adults. So when not taken out of the hair, the eggs become adults quickly.This may take hours, but you need to use a nit comb to take these nits off the hair shaft.
I did a bit of research on this and found a natural way to get rid of head lice (may or may not work) but anything is worth trying before you resort to using flea and tick shampoo.
lacetoleather.com
Have a good one.

Shandi *Oct 2006 - Aug 2012*

I highly reccommend not using dog flea shampoo on a human for lice. You can buy lice shampoo from your local super market or chemist.

Shandi *Oct 2006 - Aug 2012* answered on 3/12/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

"If it doesen't work and humans shoulden't use it, then why do you use it on dogs if its not good enough for humans!?"
Dogs and humans have different PH level tolerances...enough said.

I've had lice before. They are hard to get rid of, and the nit comb takes hours, but in the end it's worth it.

I think that your sister should not use dog flea or tick shampoo because it was probably made for a dogs body after being tested out not for humans and i dont think it will cost do much to buy lice shampoo hope this helped!

SPIKE

seriously-if you can't afford a bottle of headlice shampoo you really shouldn't be a dog owner-

SPIKE answered on 4/7/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

People telling you to not use it are too legalistic. If you look at the ingredients of Rid, they are the same as flea and tick shampoos. They don't have the FDA certification so they say not to use it. Look at all the horse shampoos and hoof treatments that humans use all the time. If I already had the flea shampoo I would use it and asap.