Does bloody mucus accompany Roundworms?

Gracie has had blood in her stool since we got her a week ago. Today I found a Roundworm in her poop. And lately her stool has been nothing but bloody pulp. The best way I can describe it is it reminds me of a placenta or the bloody show a woman has before giving birth. She has an appt. tomorrow afternoon, but I'm worried that she has bigger problems than the worms!

Asked by Member 724972 on Sep 7th 2008 in Worms & Parasites

Answers

Cookie

Oh my. Well, Cookie had the same. The first day I brought her home and she had some blood. Later that night she coughed up a roundworm and then the blood was gone with her BM's, then it was just purely the worms coming out :x I know what you mean with the placenta... My neighbors cat was doing that years ago. I have no idea what it means though, but it can't be good. :/ Good luck at the vet and I hope that Gracie will be just fine after being dewormed well.

Cookie answered on 9/7/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

You're definitely right to take her in right away.

Roundworm can cause bloody stool, but so can a host of other nasties that puppies can get, the worst of which being parvo or distemper.

The most worrying thing to me is the way you described the stool, as pulpy blood. That is very concerning.

How is she acting? Lethargic, or okay other than that? If she's seemingly ill, or if she's vomiting, chances are that it is more than roundworm.

Blood in the stool for a puppy is a huge concern, so you're right to take her in. Hopefully, it will be just the roundworm, which is easily treated. The vet will probably ask for a stool sample, so be prepared and bring the most recent one you can to the vet with you. Just putting it in a plastic baggie is fine. The more tests they can do the better.

And, make sure she isn't in any contact with other dogs in the meantime.

Good luck, let us know what happens with her vet appt!