Zaire

Does anyone know why my dogs teeth would bleed?

When my dog was chewing on her tennis ball I noticed a little blood on the toy, is this something i should worry about or is this normal?

Asked by Zaire on Dec 8th 2008 Tagged bloodyteeth in Dental Care

Answers

Dexter

No it is not normal and you should take her to the vet to get it checked out-ASAP. It could be almost anything from gum disease to possible poisoning.

Dexter answered on 12/8/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

It's rather uncommon to see this with a tennis ball, but it's something that you do see with dogs that are heavier chewers who are really laying into a toy, especially a hard toy such as a chew toy or bone.

Some dogs tend to "gnaw" on their toys using their back teeth, and depending on how the toy is built, it may rub along their gum line while they chew, which can cause bleeding in a perfectly healthy dog.

In general, I would advise against giving tennis ball to a heavy chewer - they're not suited for this purpose, and the glue used in some tennis balls can actually be damaging to their teeth.

I would not worry to much about it. If you only saw a little blood chances are she got a peice of toys inbetween her teeth or rubbed her gums wrong. Both my dogs teeth bleed randomly depending on what toys they chew. My vet says it's just like if your eating food and you get a chip in between your teeth and your gums bleed. If it is excessive or constant then go see your vet but if the bleeding stops and you don't notice any redness around her gums she'll be fine.