Marsi-Bree

Does anyone know what long term effects frisbees have on teeth?

Marsi is crazy about her frisbee and just about anything that she can catch in the air. I always wondered why her teeth were so small compared to other dogs her size. On closer inspection, I notice it looks like the canines are filed down. They are flat, not pointy. Would the frisbee have anything to do with this? Keep in mind she is a border collie and if you know the breed, you know that she plays excessively. Does anyone know the long term effects this could cause and what I might be able to do to avoid it?

Asked by Marsi-Bree on May 17th 2009 in Dental Care

Answers

Rusty

Yes, catching the hard plastic disk can chip or break teeth. There are similar disk-shaped toys made of fabric that are much easier on the mouth. Nylabone also makes a frisbee that is somewhat better than the average human variety - that might be an option if Marsi is also a chewer, as you wouldn't want her chewing up a fabric frisbee.

Rusty answered on 5/17/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

yes, it is damaging over time.
Have you seen the new Kong frisbee, it is softer than regular plastic.
I think they are around 12 dollars.
Try cutting down the frisbee play time, and use other stuff like a tennis ball, kong makes squeeky tennis balls. They love them.
Then switch it out take her for a walk, then swimming. You don't have to stick to one thing. She may love it but time to cut down.
I know all about excessive, I have one for the tennis ball, chasing a kong, and swimming. She is extremely nutty over those things. I have to put her away from them alot. I have to be in control so she doesn't hurt herself.

Shayne CGC, RL2

I would ask what type of frisbee are you using? Shayne has been competing in K9 disc for 3 years and she has one TINY chip from a front tooth. Her K-9 teeth are perfectly fine. There are many dogs with worn down k9s from playing disc for years and years, but not enough to cause any big problems. I would say these dogs are often on very high quality diet rich with calcium that helps keep teeth strong.

I would say avoid using petco/petsmart discs these are ABSOLUTE teeth killers. Look into dog-specific frisbees. Hero Disc USA is one place that has a wide variety of dog discs or Hyperflite (on skyhoundz site) has slightly different variety. I prefer hero discs--they sell a wide variety of discs with different polymers, some flexible and soft others more rigid (but still very giving to be good for dog teeth).

You can find cloth discs if you are not interested in competing or other soft polymers (kong disc) discs.

paw mail me if you want more information on k9 discs.

Shayne CGC, RL2 answered on 5/17/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Maya

I've been using the Kong Flyer frisbee for years, it's soft and stretchy. Maya's teeth are fine. Kong Flyers can be found for $5.99 on KV pet supplies, we buy 6 at a time.

Maya answered on 5/17/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I have never heard of problems with Frisbees, but don't have extensive experience. I have heard that tennis balls are too abrasive, but not seen it.

Aster's teeth were in very good shape when we put her to sleep at 15. She was allowed to have Frisbees and tennis balls, but not real bones. Mostly she chewed Nylabones. She was a big chewer. We couldn't let her have Gumibones.