Cinnamon

Does anyone know if Purina dog foods is good or is it bad?

Can anyone please tell me if Purina is a good dog food brand? I hear so much stuff from everyone and also if not steer me in the right diction for good dog food for older dogs please and thank you so much.

Asked by Cinnamon on Mar 2nd 2013 in Pet Products

Answers

There are better brands out there. Check out dogfoodadvisor.com or dogfoodanalysis.com to see how your dog food rates in comparison.

Mika

I agree with Obi, Purina is not a good food, those are great sites that Obie listed, check them out and also while your there you can learn what to look for in a quality dog food. They list the ingredients of every dog food, plus give rating out of 5 stars.
Good Luck

Mika answered on 3/3/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sparky

Almost all that purina makes are definitely not good foods. I would most recommend Blue Buffalo, Wellness, and Solid Gold brand foods as the best commercial ones I know of, with Nutro and Castor & Pollux coming in somewhere after them. Whatever brand you buy, you may want to put your dogs on a senior formula diet, but this depends on a few factors. Consider their age(s) and breed(s) and how they correspond to the average lifespan of the breed/mix of breeds. A dog is considered a senior when they have reached 75% of their projected lifespan. Age is not the only factor, though, activity has an influence as well. If your dogs are active and generally healthy, it may not be necessary to feed them a senior diet. But if they are less active and/or are starting to show some senior health problems/slowing down, a senior formula may be the best choice.

Sparky answered on 9/13/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Shasta

Purina is one of the biggest names out there. Even the "Pro Plan" is a very cheap food full of fillers. I'd honestly avoid it at all costs...

Blue Buffalo is fairly good, but it's very easy to find better foods at a lower price... It's one of the "big name" brands too, believe it or not.

Go to dogfoodadvisory.com, I'd advise getting at least a 4-star food.

So far THE most affordable foods (in relation to quality) I've found so far are Nutra Nuggets lamb n rice ($25 for 40lb. 3 stars), Kirkland Signature ($25 for 40lb, 4 stars) and Diamond Naturals ($40 for 40lb, 4-5 stars)

Some foods will work well for certain dogs, but horribly for others...so just experiment until you find the perfect food that gives your dog soft shiny fur, high energy levels, bright eyes, small stools, and very low skin/coat odor.

Best wishes!

Shasta answered on 1/7/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer