Does anyone know how I can get my dog a psychiatric therapy service dog vest. I have been diagnosed with PTSD and am won

Asked by Member 1112136 on May 22nd 2012 in Service & Therapy Dogs

Answers

I strongly urge you to go to the regular forums & look through the Service Dog Forum. You can post there and enter into a dialogue answering any questions you may have.

Sarge

I am currently training my dog to be my psychiatric service dog as well. Please make sure you follow through with lots of training before passing your dog off as a service dog. Here's a good link to find info on Psychiatric Service dogs: psychdog.org For vests there are several places online you can order them. There isn't a place that I've found that sells psychiatric service dog vests specifically. Most sell different vests and you order the patches separately. Some will sew them on for you. Mine says Service dog in training since I'm still working on his training and I haven't taken him in stores except pet stores yet until he passes he cgc test which is scheduled for next week. I do take him lots of other places though to get him used to being around crowds while I continue his training.

Sarge answered on 5/23/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Kayak

Anyone can put a vest on a dog and call it a "Therapy dog" To bring your dogs places in this fashion without the proper training and certification you can land yourself in a heap of trouble should anyone get hurt by the dog. It is safer for you, your dog and your finances to go through the proper channels. If your dog is well behaved and has been trained he should have no problem earning this certification. With some looking around you can find trainers and information on the internet on what steps to take. Good luck and happy training.

Kayak answered on 5/24/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Go to www.sitstay.com