Does anyone know about a Pug Chihuahua cross? I'm looking @ this pup to purchase and only have a days to decide.

This is a big decision to add a dog to your family. We know we want a cross breed, a small dog no bigger then 10 lbs. Don't want a long haired dog. We have boys age 5 & 8. This pup I'm looking at is a Pug Chihuahua cross (mom pug 12 lbs / dad chihuahua 7lbs) breeder indicate that pup should be no bigger then 8 lbs. How is this cross temperment? Please help, and info would be great. I have been reading and looking for about 2 weeks now. And thinking as a family to get a dog for 6 mos. my cats are 13 & 12 years old.

Asked by Member 523078 on Nov 5th 2007 Tagged pug, chihuahua, puppy, cross, temperment in Behavior & Training

Answers

Scarlet

Temperment is going to be highly influenced by the way you raise the dog.

It will probably be a bit hyper/high-energy.

May have skin allergies, may not. It's hard to tell which traits a mixed breed will take from each parent.

Good luck.

P.S. Two weeks is not that long to make a big decision like taking on another family member. If you are unsure, you should probably wait.

Scarlet answered on 11/5/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Xena

I'd like to add that there is no way the breeder can guarantee that the dog will be no bigger than 8 pounds. If the mom is 12, the pup could get up to 12, maybe even 14 pounds. And the personality will depend on how the puppy is raised. Pugs and pug mixes tend to be very high strung, and you will need to be prepared to handle characteristics of both the chi and the pug, which could mean skin problems, breathing problems, hypoglycemia, etc.

Xena answered on 11/5/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

MY DARLING LITTLE KELLY

Yes, I had a darling chihuahua pug mix. She passed away from old age. But, she was absolutely wonderful, & I am still looking for another one just like her! I miss her terribly! She was so cute & full of herself! The eyes were what always touched me the most. No luck so far for me finding another one, so let me know if you come across any like this please! I settled for Pollyanna that is on my profile here!

MY DARLING LITTLE KELLY answered on 11/5/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Cass

Do not buy a dog under pressure. That is not the last Pug/Chi cross that will ever live. Take your time on this.

I wanted a dog for a long time before we found our girl Cass. Take your time, this is a huge decision.

How about adopting a rescue dog, where you know something about the temperament?

We have three young boys and a cat. We went w/ a 2 y.o. JRT who was in a rescue foster home for several months. They knew her very well and selected her for us from many dogs.

We really felt like he was custom-picked for us. It is working out great.

Cass answered on 11/5/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Chloe Chanel

I'm not sure about that cross breed. i have a shih-poo.

they are great with kids and so smart. She was suppose to be 7 lbs. but she's been 5.75 for about a month or two.

good luck, main advice, do as much recerch as you can and make sure it's what you want. plus, it could turn out to be larger or a dog then you wanted. They can't really tell you how big it will be!

Chloe Chanel answered on 11/6/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I would reconsider the idea of a cross breed and go with a shelter dog if you are looking for a mutt. You have no idea what you are getting when you buy from backyard breeders. They will tell you anything to sell you their dog. The dog could be great or it could be larger and high strung then what you are prepared for. The "designer dog" craze is creating a lot of unhealthy pups and unstable adults. To better understand the quality and traits of a dog you need to go to a reputable breeder for a purebred dog. If that is not an option or to expensive then think about rescuing an older dog, then you see the personality first hand.