Brutus

Does anyone have a Buster Cube and/or a Tug-A-Jug?

We've been getting daily e-mails from Dogster about great food dispensing toys. We recieved the e-mails about three toys: The Kong, Buster Cube and Tug-A-Jug. We already own a Kong, but are looking in to getting a Buster Cube or Tug-A-Jug. They seem like great products! However, we'd just like to hear from some people who have one of these toys for their dog. Is it safe? Does your dog like it? Thanks!

Asked by Brutus on Apr 14th 2010 Tagged tugajug, bustercube, toys in Toys

Answers

No toy is indestructable. Not even the kong. The kong tops can be torn off and they can chew off chunks too.
Kong has tennis balls, and frisbees. I love to play with the frisbee they have they are soft for my teeth.
They come in red and a black that is ultra soft for older dogs.
The Kong Wubba is fun but made in China.
All toys need supervision and they need to be inspected frequently for tears, loose corners and replacement wear all around.

Zack

Zack has a Tug-A-Jug - the one with the rubber rope in it. He likes it and it has held up well, but I would not recommend it for "power chewers" as they could probably hurt themselves chewing on it. I would also not recommend it for "toy slingers" like Bianca, who tend to pick up toys and sling them around. I have a feeling if it hit something hard it would crack or shatter.

Zack usually eats his dinner out of his Tug-A-Jug because it helps him eat more slowly. I only use it when I can supervise him to make sure he is safe.

The Tug-A-Jug also has a bit of a learning curve - you may have to show your dog how to get the food out. I have heard some dogs get frustrated if they can't figure it out and won't play with it.

Zack answered on 4/14/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Gambler CGC

I've had both - If your dog likes to chew up rope into pieces- the tug-a-jug isn't the one to pick (I think I've seen newer ones with rubber pulls instead so maybe that's a moot point). The tug-a-jug does take some figuring out for the dog but it's a good one. I don't like the buster cube because the puppy food my youngest guy is on is little so even the tightest (smallest) opening is too big and it just pours out. If you're only using it for a few pieces, it's great, but if you want to feed them dinner out of it, it may be a problem. I recently got a knock-off of a Kong Wobbler- and it's great, i like it better than both. I also think it's more intriguing for the dog when it's been sitting out for a while. It takes a little bump and it wobbles pretty easily to get their attention. I hope this helped! :-)

Gambler CGC answered on 4/14/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

We have, Kong, Tug-a-jug, twist and treat, buster cube, and amaze-a-ball.

The tug-a-jug is difficult, Pepper was VERY motivated, but has only empyied it once. Very noisy on the wood floors.
Amaze-a-ball is very easy for the dog to use and works best with larger kibbles (hazlenut size not pea). Buster cube works best on carpet, just slides on wood floor.

Twist and treat is my favorite, easy, but not too easy. gives any size kibble, tough and fun, rubber so not too noisy on the wood floor.

Shiver Me Timbers

Charlie has a Tug-a-Jug. That being said, I agree with some of the above posters. It's not great if you have a dog that likes to toss their toys, as it is a hard plastic that may easily crack or break on a hard surface. It has rubber and the rope I have on mine is made of rope, not rubber. It's not a good toy for tossers or power chewers. Granted, any toy is great fun if it's supervised carefully and monitored for cracks, missing chunks, etc.

Shiver Me Timbers "Charlie" answered on 4/14/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer