Does anyone feeding the Raw diet have any problems with theirs dogs stomach rumbling and being unsettled at night-time

My dogs have all been on the raw diet for approx 10 months and are all doing really well. I have a large welsh sheep dog who will sometimes wake up in the night squeaking and crying and asking to go out - I let him out and all he does is go round the garden eating grass. When he comes back in you can hear his stomach rolling and gurgling very loudly. He is obviously suffering some discomfort but is not sick and has no tummy upset. In the morning when he is fed his breakfast he is absolutely fine. Anyone else had this? I am wondering whether to add biscuits to his last meal at night , increase his meat or could it be something else?

Asked by Member 1130117 on Sep 10th 2012 Tagged raw, underfeeding in Raw Food

Answers

I'd post this in the raw forum on this site. You'll get more responses from other raw feeders.

How many times a day are they fed? I hear it can have something to do with stomach upset, though you'll have to hear from someone else on that one.
Also feeding at different times each day can cause stomach upset. My dog will puke bile if I switch up the feeding times too much.

I do hear gurgling sometimes. Are they perhaps swallowing any air along with their food?

Frost Hollow Huskies

I do a raw food diet for my dogs and haven't noticed those symptoms. My question would be are you following a diet plan? Are you using Ian Billinghurst's book as a guide line? I don't think mixing biscuits and raw meat would help his tummy. Raw food is digested faster than kibble foods. I think I would back off a bit, give him some pepto bismol to settle the stomach...really look at what I'm feeding.

Frost Hollow Huskies answered on 9/11/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer