does a person have the right to shoot my dog if it is on their property

Asked by Member 1089607 on Feb 4th 2012 in Other Laws & Legislation

Answers

Every state (in the US) has different laws. I know some states give a person the right to shoot your dog if it chases or attacks anyones livestock. Your might want to check the laws in your area.

SNEAKERS

The short answer is yes.
That person would probably get into more trouble over discharging a Firearm, than he would for the death.

SNEAKERS answered on 2/4/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Bella

I disagree that the short answer is yes. There are far too many different ordinances, in cities, counties, states. They vary in degrees and reasons. Places that farm sheep have different rules/laws than elsewhere. Different states have different laws about even owning a firearm and what you can do with it. Where I live a man was arrested because he shot a dog on his property. Not only was he charged with the animal cruelty, he was charged with a whole slew of other crimes. You have to be specific about where you live, what happened, check your local ordinances, etc. Could be yes, could be no. Do research on your local laws rather than rely on this...although its an excellent place to gather other info, get opinions, support and so on. But nothing beats going to your local village/state and get the info straight from the source. Best of luck and hope nothing bad has already happened.

Bella answered on 2/4/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Just joined so coming up as "Guest". I am an animal law attorney in New York (Long Island) and teach animal law seminars and a l/t animal rescuer. Bella is correct but I would contact several locals. Here it would be the Suffolk County SPCA, the Town's Animal Control (usually under "Public Safety" dept) and I would call the precinct. This is because you don't always get the most helpful people, even those who are supposed to be helping animals. Here, some people are absolutely wonderful but there are a few who were placed into Animal Control by patronage jobs, people who knew someone who wanted to get this moron/cruel person a job with benefits where he won't get fired, even if he cruelly euthanizes a dog and comes inches from killing a woman and a kid with the wildly stabbing needle in the middle of a still-open shelter. The person may have flunked out of Highway Dept and placed somewhere where the animals cannot speak (but the volunteer almost killed just might be an atty now).

Skarlet

It may or may not even matter to them whether or not they have the right if they believe they can shoot your dog and get away with it by burying it and denying that they shot it if accused. This is one of the many reasons it is so very important to keep your dog on your own property.

Skarlet answered on 2/4/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Yes and no. You can't shoot a dog unless it poses as a threat to you, your family or your animals. Does your dog run loose? Never allow your dog to roam around loose, it is definitely not safe.

* If the dog is on the person's property and not posing as a threat but this person doesn't want the dog on its property, he/she must call AC (Animal Control).

* I've heard stories where neighbors have threatened the owner and even hurt or kill the animal that even steps a foot onto their lawn. Sad thing is, some of these people also have animals and they kill harmless animals just because that animal stepped one foot onto their lawn.

* I've also heard stories where neighbors have threatened or even seriously hurt or killed animals who would "do their business" on their lawn.

* To sum it all up, there's no reason to shoot an animal if it doesn't pose a threat.