Does a dog, coming up to you and putting his back end against you, a sign of dominance?

When a dog comes up to you and presents his rear end to you, is that an alpha move or is that a no big deal thing?
A friend saw my dog do that to me when I was sitting on the couch. My dog had a toy in his mouth, came over to me and instead of coming to me head first, he side stepped into my legs and presented his rear end to me. All wags and wiggles as he did it. (He gets cuddley sometimes when he's got a toy).
My friend told me that I shouldn't let him do that. She says that that was an alpha move. Well, I've heard just the opposite, that presenting the rear is a good thing.
Just curious about it. We bickered about it for a few minutes and even got online to find out who was right, but I couldn't come up with anything.
I don't have any pack leader issues with my dog. He's clear on who's in charge and I always think when he backs into my legs it's is a cute thing.

Asked by Member 768404 on Aug 8th 2009 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Your friend is wrong...The whole dominance theory is based on flawed studies of man made, captive wolf "packs"...The theory is outdated & wrong.
When my dogs do that it's because they want their tail set scratched...lol!
Have your friend read this...It is just silly the things dogs do that people blame on dominance! LOL!
Dogs do what pays off for them plain & simple.
dogpublic.com

The plea for attention in this manner is not an alpha one. Just be sure you don't always pet him or allow him to stay if you don't want. A forward approach and a demand for you to play by pushing a toy at you would be a more alpha move.
Puppies and subordinates in a pack always come to the leader. The leader does not go to them, he calls them to come.

Maverick

When I do that to Mom or to anyone for that matter its because I want my tail scratched! BOL! :D

Maverick answered on 8/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

no, the dog's bottom needs a scratchin'
He is being overly friendly, he is trying to get some free rubbin

Dog behavior is very complicated. There is a real ritual to sniffing and being sniffed. I have yet to see the dominance is dead thinkers explain much of the behavior. Nor do I see the consensus some do. It would be difficult to get all the researchers to agree the sun came up today.

Dogs do present their rear ends to be sniffed. In this case, it sounds more like keeping the toy away from you to entice you into a game of chase.