Does a 2 year old chihuahua need parvo shots? She never had any shots.

Asked by Member 780123 on Dec 15th 2008 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Yes. Dogs of any age can contract parvo as well as other diseases or illnesses. It is important that you have your vet properly vaccinate your Chi.

Miss Buddie

Definitely have her vaccinated for everything. Just going outside can put your dog at risk for so many diseases.

Miss Buddie answered on 12/15/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Dexter

YES and she should have already had numerous vaccinations by now.

Dexter answered on 12/15/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Promise

I agree that dogs need vaccinations, but I wouldn't go crazy getting her vaccinated for everything. Rabies, yes. DHPP, yes (Distemper, Hepatitis, Parainfluenza and Parvo). I wouldn't give her a bazillion vaccines at once because just like with people, you can get too many things going on in the body at once and cause serious issues. Also, you can get DHPP with Lepto in it, if Leptospirosis is an issue in your area (ask your vet). In any case, make sure you watch your dog after the vaccines (especially if you get the Lepto) because they can have reactions that can be life threatening. Promise's face swelled up like a grapefruit when she had a DHLPP we gave her benedryl before her breathing got to be an issue (stopped the reaction), and Lepto isn't an issue in our area so she gets the vaccine without (DHPP). You definitely need to get your pup vaccinated! Also, most areas have vaccine clinics that offer them cheaper. Note: Vaccine Clinics are not a substitute for regular medical care!

Promise answered on 12/15/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Ace

Yes, its important. Parvo is not just a puppy illness as many think. I dont acutally understand why they call it puppy Parvo, but any dog can get it. The smaller the dog, the worse their chance for survival is. Get her all her shots now. Before you start taking her out in public. I found out the hard way. Ace got parvo, and almost didnt make it. He was in the hospital for 3 days. Get them done the sooner the better. Good luck.

Ace answered on 12/15/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer