Do you think that pitbulls are aggressive or is it the way they are trained

Asked by Member 1137149 on Oct 23rd 2012 Tagged pits, pitbulls in American Pit Bull Terrier

Answers

New Member. This is the Answers section of Dogster. It is designed for you to ask a question...one time..& people will respond..one time.
If you want a discussion, please post on the main forums. This question...like your previous one, abut BSL, is too complex to give a short answer & be done with it.

SNEAKERS

Well, I can give you a short answer...
PBT's have the potential to be more aggressive than most breeds. Same can be said for Pincers, GSD's and Rotties.
HOWEVER !!!, I've owned PBT that was the sweetest, good natured animal EVER !
It's how they are raised and trained !!!

SNEAKERS answered on 10/23/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Mika

I am certainly not an expert but i definitely think it is the way they are raised. Some of the sweetest dogs ive ever known are pits or rotty's or breeds like that that always seem to get more attention when something negative does happen with them. I think you should always make sure how the breeder handles the dogs or where the dog came from, and if they are well spirited i wouldnt worry any more then any other breed.

Mika answered on 10/23/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Dogs are NOT born mean or aggressive. They are made that way by humans..................Whether it be from the way they are mistreated or neglected.

Diesel

I was at the dog park the other day and while sitting at table and before I could move two pit bulls jumped on the table and started licking my face..every pit bull I've met has been super friendly!

Diesel answered on 10/25/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Tyson

It doesnt even make any sense for someone to say Pitbulls, rotties, GSD, etc.. are aggressive. True fact: a trained pitbull is more safe than an untrained chiuaua.
It all depends on their owner, how they are raised and trained. i have a pitbull myself, and nothing affends me more then someone making comments on how mean pitbulls are. I use to have a dachsund when i was younger and i trust my pit around any other dog or human then i did my 13 pound dachshund. Not saying this just cause hes mine, but he is THEE most sweetest and loving dog i have ever met. i also have a boxer who is old a day younger then my pit, theyve been together since 6 weeks old, my pit is the more dominant one and even he is the most laid back, he has NEVER shown one mean bone in his body to any person or animal. I could go on and on about this subject:) just always know that NO dog is mean unless its owner raised him that way.

Tyson answered on 1/13/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Samson

I think in order to answer this question, you need to differentiate between human aggression and dog aggression. Pits ( and other bully breeds) DO have a propensity to be dog aggressive. This is inherent in their breeding just like retrieving is inherent in a lab's breeding. Obviously there are going to be degrees of dog aggression that vary between individual dogs.

They do NOT have a higher than average tendency towards human aggression. Many people that work in security training guardian breeds will tell you NOT to get a pit because they can be too friendly to strangers. The ATTS recently released temperament testing results by breed (which can be found on their site) and pits and amstaffs consistently tested in the 80-85% range (of the dogs tested, that percentage passed). This was higher than Goldens and Beagles. No one ever asks if those are aggressive breeds. The media has ruined the APBT, as well as very irresponsible ownership. They are wonderful, sweet, funny dogs.

Samson answered on 9/4/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer