Brutus

Do you think cable cords are the safest dog tie outs?

I have a one year old Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier who loves to be outside. We have a fenced in backyard, where he can roam freely and we don't have to keep a close eye on him. However, our whole family likes to be outside in the front yard a lot, too. We don't always like to hold his leash. We recentley bought the red cable leash called a Roccorp Prestige Tie Out at PetSmart. Do you think that, if the dog is supervised, cable tie outs are safe?

Asked by Brutus on May 31st 2010 Tagged cable, tieout, safe in Other Pet Products

Answers

I don't see any problem. We have a fenced backyard, but I sometimes use a similar cable out front when I am out there. Some dogs are happy to be out as long as their people are.

I wouldn't leave the dog unattended at any time on it. They are a danger to any dog because they can wrap around objects and legs.
I use long lines for this and then if I go in they go in.
I have also seen dogs chew on them and cause injury to their mouths and to teeth.
I think if the dog is not unhappy and pulling it would be fine. But, just not for a long time. :)

Gunner

We live deep in the woods in a rent house without a good fenced backyard. Not wanting our Texas Lacy to roam free (people around here shoot dogs that get into their yards...sad, I know) we use a cable tie-out when we aren't home to supervise his whereabouts. But we have it fixed so that it it can't wrap around anything, and it has worked great for us. And we don't leave him on it 24-7. When we are home, he comes in the house with us. Just be sure it is in a good area away from things that it can wrap around. We also use another tie-out for when we visit my family, who don't have a fenced yard at all. It works well there too.

Gunner answered on 6/1/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer