Do you have to give your dogs flea medicine even when they don't have any signs of fleas?

Asked by Member 1087051 on Jan 25th 2012 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Teddy 1998-2008

Ideally you should keep them on flea control to help prevent an infestation from occuring. By the time you are noticing fleas on your pets, the fleas are already reproducing in your home. It is much easier to get rid of one flea with a preventative than to get rid of thousands in your home.

Teddy 1998-2008 answered on 1/25/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I skip out on flea meds in the winter, but spring and summer I begin using them again. My dog is allergic to fleas. He's had an infestation before that led to a staph infection from biting himself so much, which led to wearing a cone, which led to a yeast infection from wearing it for so long. Once those fleas were established enough for us to notice them, flea meds did little good. For us, less hassle to just use the flea meds as a preventative.

Our friend's dog used Frontline on her little shitszu and the dog started getting seizures because it was toxic to her system. We never use chemical products on our dog. We bathe her with a natural flea shampoo and conditioner (from Dirty & Hairy's PROTECT line) to keep fleas away. We also spray her with Vet's Best Natural Flea and Tick Spray before walks and the doggy park. These are all natural products so it's not harmful to our little mini schnauzer and THEY WORK TOO. She is flea free! We buy them online at www.topdogboutique.com. They carry natural stuff for dogs.

It's really your choice. Like Treader said, by the time you actually see fleas or flea dirt on the dog, the infestation is in full swing and your house it likely infected too.

If you want to protect your dog, but also save money and lessen the chemical load, you can use Frontline, Advantage, and most topical products every other month, or even every third month instead of monthly- this works better if you don't bathe your dog very often.

Please be aware that even natural products ARE chemicals and can be extremely toxic/fatal if not used correctly.
An example is Pyrethrin. It is plant based, ie "natural", however is extremely toxic to cats and many dogs, causing seizures, disorientation and also skin sensitivity.
The fact that a product is called natural does not mean it is safe, it ONLY means it is not synthetically produced.
Frankly, I find it safer to use a product like Advantix and only have to use one product instead of having to use sprays and shampoos and powders and all that, most on a daily basis, natural or not. My dog is only exposed to one product and it is one that has been thru rigorous testing before approval for use.
That said, I ONLY use Advantix during flea season and ONLY if I actually see any fleas. I do use a flea comb to thoroughly check for them, at least weekly.
I also use Advantix when camping as it repels mosquitos and other biting insects.

I wouldn't ever give or put any type of flea control on my dog. There are a couple things I do to get rid of fleas. You can see below.

1). I use essential oils. I use clove oil and peppermint oil. I put about 5-8 drops of each oil on my dog and rub all into his coat except the face and sensitive areas. However, it depends how much your dog weighs. XS dogs, I would use around 2-3 drops of each oil. Small dogs, I would use around 2-3 drops of each oil. Medium dogs, I would use around 4-5 drops of each oil. Large dogs, I would use around 5-8 drops of each oil. XL dogs, I would use around 5-8 drops of each oil. Put oils on your dog whenever you can no longer smell the oils or when you're bathing your dog or after you've finished bathing your dog.

2). Bathe your dog once a week with a high quality shampoo. I recommend using Earth Bath or NuHemp.

3). Sprinkle 1tsp each of garlic powder and cinnamon over your dog's food daily.

4). Feed a high quality food. I recommend feeding Orijen.