♥CoCo Chanel♥ -

Do female dogs change much after they are spayed?

My dog was recently spayed. Up until then she never barked. Now she barks at everything. Is this normal behavior after being spayed? I also wanted to know if they tend to gain weight after spaying.

Asked by ♥CoCo Chanel♥ - on Apr 13th 2009 in Aggression

Best Answer

How long has it been? Could she still be recovering? Normally they are more settled and would bark less. I would give her some time.

One confusing thing about the traditional 6 months spay/neutering thing is that the puppies have reached most of their adult size by then and are maturing in other ways too. Much of my experience is with the 16 puppies we have raised for a dog guide school. They are left intact until after a year old and they go to to the school to begin their training. I see many changes in them after 6 months.

They need less food then, and will gain weight if not cut back. Intact or fixed, there is an easy system to judge body condition to guide feeding levels. Charts are only a starting point. See www.longliveyourdog.com

Aster answered on Apr 13th.

Answers

Vladimir

Each dog has it's own reaction to being fixed. I have never heard of the barking thing before, perhaps it will go away after a while. They are feeling a lot different now that their -stuff- is gone and not pumping their harmones and what not into their bodies, so maybe barking is a way to cope with it. I'm not an expert. Most dogs tend to become much more relaxed and docile, and yes, some dogs do tend to gain weight after being fixed.

My sister has a corgi who was a skinny little thing (15 pounds at a year and a half) you could feel her bones. She was so high strung and barked at everything and freaked out over her food like it was going to eat her! She eventually got her fixed and now she is very relaxed and sleeps normal dog hours and has reached a healthy weight of 22 pounds. She looks great and her disposition is as well. Spaying her was the best thing she could have done for her. Just give it some time. It took 3 months for my twin's corgi to change for the better. Good luck!

Vladimir answered on 4/13/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

yes they do change,they bark less,fight less and no they should not gain weight after there spayed.and they should not bark either after there spayed,they should be relaxed.